1927 chevy truck ignition switch issue

pgb123

I was taken by complete surprise when I went to shut off the ignition by turning the key to the off position and the ignition switch key cylinder pulled out with the ignition key.

I am no locksmith and am seeking help to find a good antique automobile locksmith to send the complete ignition switch for repairs. 

Who can help me by recommending me a good locksmith?

Thanks Paul

Did it go back in? Was there an obvious small broken area (chip/clean break) on either the cylinder or housing? If not, and it goes back in, try a little graphite lubricant on it to release a maybe a stuck spring loaded pin that is supposed to hold it in. Like Lock Ease.

I removed the switch and I think there must have been a clip of some sort to hold the cylinder in place. The other issue is that the cylinder wore out the brass groove for the igntion part of the switch. The switch play wore down some of the brass wire connections as well. I found more brass fillings then steel. 

I am not the greatest computer user and did search ebay. Gary Wallace, who is an early chevy parts supplier, and I have done business in the past. I did not know that he had an eBay store. I finally put together the correct wording in the ebay motors search and up came a restored switch from Gary's store. I feel the best  part about the switch is does not use a ingnition key. It has a toggle switch. I was very lucky to find it. 

My concern with buying a parts switch is the igntion key and cylinder. Who rekeys the cylinder? 

Paul

I do rekey, but 1935 and up B&S (aka GM) lock cylinders. I have not had an earlier lock cylinder to open and look at the tumblers. I'm sure others are expert in the pre 1935 GM locks.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to let everyone know that Jarvis Erickson finally contacted me. He was busy home issues and did not respond to me earlier. I had sent him a letter as well and he called me when he recieved it.

Jarvis is in his 80's and has found a dramatic drop in demand for his services. He has many repair and rebuilt parts in stock. 

He is quite an authority of the Mercury speedster and has one himself. He owns one himself and has been asked to attend an upcoming speedster event.

I feel the best method to contact him is both by telephone and letter.

I did try to contact Jesser's a couple of times and no response.

Jarvis is a cool dude at his age!