ID person and/or Car

Eric11

While examining family history material in boxes - we came across a number of images - of which I am sharing here - not dated nor no known location. I am aware that one of my Murphy relatives was an avid racer in South Jersey - but that is the extent of knowledge. The photos were included in a portfolio provided by C. Y. LaTour of Wyncote, Pa.  Any help would be appreciated.  E. M. 

Photo_2021-11-16_021316.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Note the elongated sedan/limousine/ambulance/hearse in the background. It doesn't appear to have a door at the very rear, though. Can anyone identify it?

Henney perhaps, they were one of the better builders of commercial cars. 

See the list of board tracks here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_track_racing

I'm guessing that the cars in the background were about 1928-30 vintage, so the track would have to be one that was still open in those years or slightly later.  In the background of the photo appear to be mountains, so the location might not be Atlantic City Speedway.  If the photographer C.Y. LaTour was from Wyncote, PA (North Philadelphia), he probably didn't travel too far from home.

My dad told a story about his attending a board track race in Fresno, CA, in the 1920's when he was a high school student. He experienced the noise and excitement for many laps until  a collision happened in front of the stands. As a car spun out of control and smashed the retaining fence, the unattached end of a loose timber caught the driver in the lower chest area and eviscerated him. 

That was the last auto race my father ever attended in his 90+ years.

The newspaper later said that the timber had to be cut to remove the body.