Help ID unknown car at 1967 Vintage Car Rally-04

kcmadr

I've been enjoying this series of ID cars from '67 in South Africa, as a British Colony, no doubt there would be a lot of British cars in the country then. I'm curious where the cars come from today, suspect same as here (Canada), a lot of Japanese and Korean products with a few European models thrown in and of course here we have a sizable share of American big 3. 

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I've been enjoying this series of ID cars from '67 in South Africa, as a British Colony, no doubt there would be a lot of British cars in the country then. I'm curious where the cars come from today, suspect same as here, a lot of Japanese and Korean products with a few European models thrown in. 

Yes, I think mainly European, lots of Japanese and some Korean, and a few American types.

You say "same as here", but where is that?

9 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Actually a British Talbot.

Any idea how I can find out more about it? Where I can look for further details? I'm not coming up with much in my searches - probably looking in the wrong places.

These pictures are from the "Rand Daily Mail, Vintage car run.

Try contacting  the Rand Daily Mail Archives on the web and see if they have a full list of entrants that will probably have been posted at the time in their paper.

I would also suggest contacting the VVC of SA, that is the Vintage and Veteran club of South Africa, they will probably be able to assist in identifying these pictures, or can probably point you in the right direction.

Their address is on the internet.

Also try "The crankhandle club" in Capetown

Regards

Viv from Zimbabwe

Edited by viv w (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have settled on tagging these vehicles as a 1907 Diatto A Clément Roi des Belges (not a Mors or Talbot) and a 1926 Studebaker Standard Six Duplex Phaeton Model ER which is parked alongside and is the same vehicle seen in another photo in this series.

One of Wayne Kennerley's contacts in sub-Saharan Africa tried looking up this info from the newspaper archives. I don't know how much success they had, but I did get a whole bunch of info from Wayne.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:40 PM, viv w said:

These pictures are from the "Rand Daily Mail, Vintage car run.

Try contacting  the Rand Daily Mail Archives on the web and see if they have a full list of entrants that will probably have been posted at the time in their paper.

I would also suggest contacting the VVC of SA, that is the Vintage and Veteran club of South Africa, they will probably be able to assist in identifying these pictures, or can probably point you in the right direction.

Their address is on the internet.

Also try "The crankhandle club" in Capetown

Regards

Viv from Zimbabwe