1929 Stutz Lebaron Mascott paper weight?

Why would some one waste the time & cost of producing one like this? It has been cleaned up enough there is no casting marks, but it definitely is not a finished piece? Solid brass , not cheap to produce? Are there others like this floating around?

Edited by Oldschoolantiqueauto (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, Oldschoolantiqueauto said:

Why would some one waste the time & cost of producing one like this? It has been cleaned up enough there is no casting marks, but it definitely is not a finished piece? Solid brass , not cheap to produce? Are there others like this floating around?

Usually made for a trophy or presentation piece.  Not that hard to make if you're familiar with casting. Quick and easy probably means 40 years ago they cost 25 bucks each to cast. Today it would be 200. If it was very well done, a casting today would easily cost 1500 or more. There was a company that made a candy dish with a similar head on it........probably done in the 70's for a show at Indy. My neighbor has one.

• Like 3

Once again it proves how valuable the AACA forums are. For novice or seasoned collector - you can't know everything and the place to learn what was "real" be it an object or what was real in history or how to fix a 50+ year old vehicle can be found here. If you can get past those who have a lot of opinions and focus on the majority who just want to "pass the torch" of knowledge on to the newer members in the hobby the interest in old cars, preservation will continue on.

PAYBACK time - if you do not belong to AACA are not a member Please consider joining NOW, that club is paying for all of this that you can access FREE. Do the proper thing take the time to send in the $ to AACA to belong , support the organization that supports you with incredible information, photographs of current and past history etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Once again it proves how valuable the AACA forums are. For novice or seasoned collector - you can't know everything and the place to learn what was "real" be it an object or what was real in history or how to fix a 50+ year old vehicle can be found here. If you can get past those who have a lot of opinions and focus on the majority who just want to "pass the torch" of knowledge on to the newer members in the hobby the interest in old cars, preservation will continue on.

PAYBACK time - if you do not belong to AACA are not a member Please consider joining NOW, that club is paying for all of this that you can access FREE. Do the proper thing take the time to send in the $ to AACA to belong , support the organization that supports you with incredible information, photographs of current and past history etc. 

Yes I agree, that's why I sent my membership payment in a week ago. I have so much to learn  & I found this is the best place I have found to get help. I just purchased a pair of taillights I found through AACA. I had been all over the web daily, for more than 6 years looking for them & today is Christmas morning, thanks to AACA. I am also making plans to go to Hershey this year, even if I have to fly...

Edited by Oldschoolantiqueauto (see edit history)
  • Like 3