Finishing my wheels 1918 DB Touring

Willy

Got my new spoked wheels from Calimer Wheel Shop, and I’m wondering if I can pop out this (brown) plate, without messing up the spokes. I see the alignment mark Bill made, so I can put it back together, but it’s tight, and will have to be knocked out with a rubber mallet. Need experienced opinions please.

DF5119A0-DD9A-4EF8-AE64-2FD73C27A33A.jpeg

Willy, please don’t remove this hub, I know it is rusty but here in Australia when the wheels are rebuilt a press is used to install the spokes and hub together. They are a fraction oversize and raised up a little like a teepee and pressed into place. If you could use a rubber hammer to knock it out then your spokes are too loose to start with.

I would finish the spokes how you want to (paint or varnish) and then mask up the spokes and clean, treat and paint the hub. If you spoil the paint / varnish on the spokes you can rub back and repaint but if you do the hub first before spoke painting you could have any cleaning liquids used absorbed by the bare wood which won’t come out.

i used 6 coats of marine varnish on my wheels as it is designed to flex without cracking.

D3B3DCF5-E025-4747-BB3C-3E67901567E3.jpeg.33b8fbbfff1400a9a5b99cd763a71e7e.jpeg

Thanks, I kinda suspicioned that. I was thinking to spray sanding sealer (lacquer) a few times, sanding between. Then marine spar varnish a few coats. And yes I realize I need to finish the spokes before I do the hub. It’s already cleaned and primered, so I just need to tape off the wood portions to paint the hub.

• Like 2

I had my wheels rebuilt by Calimer's, too, but I had the hubs and felloes sandblasted and powder-coated before I sent them to Mr. Calimer, so I had to paint the spokes afterward.  I didn't have the patience to mask everything off, so I painted them freehand.  That is not a perfect solution to the problem, but it is good enough for the Dodge brothers that I hang out with.

DB wheels unfinished.JPG

New wheel.jpg

Edited by 22touring
correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1