Dodge Bros DA6 oil pan seal

EdStewart

I’m reassembling a DA140 truck with a DA6 engine… I started the story on a thread “Dodge Bros truck”.
The engine has been rebuilt and
I’d like to get the pan on and set the engine back in the frame. I’ve searched a bit but have not found specific info on this engine; any help on the felt seal is appreciated, along with any general tips on getting a good seal on the pan.  Thanks, Ed

488BBB0C-8C34-480D-8CC1-1651C598C6B7.jpeg

6A00B293-D8E8-465A-B86F-9A4F6EF2AD86.jpeg

When I did my Nash several months ago I left the felt sticking up above the pan gaskets somewhat so it would crush when installed. I also used Permatex ultra black sealant on the pan side of the pan gaskets only, not on the block side. I used a small dab of ultra black in each spot where the felt met the pan gasket too so when it all gets tightened down there were no spaces for oil to exit.

The pan was carefully tightened until the ultra black started to squish out then let dry overnight and then torqued down the next day otherwise all the liquid sealant would just be sqeezed out.

So far no leaks from my pan.

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, EdStewart said:

I’m reassembling a DA140 truck with a DA6 engine… I started the story on a thread “Dodge Bros truck”.
The engine has been rebuilt and
I’d like to get the pan on and set the engine back in the frame. I’ve searched a bit but have not found specific info on this engine; any help on the felt seal is appreciated, along with any general tips on getting a good seal on the pan.  Thanks, Ed

488BBB0C-8C34-480D-8CC1-1651C598C6B7.jpeg

6A00B293-D8E8-465A-B86F-9A4F6EF2AD86.jpeg

The felt seal does not go there. It in the groove on the rear main seal.

On 2/20/2023 at 6:17 PM, EdStewart said:

Is it glued to a groove on the crank/ bearing cap,??
Is there also felt in the groove in the pan? This has been there since Danny took the engine apart.

Hi Ed,

Try searching "rear felt" and other terms. I found several old helpful threads that you might be interested in. I believe Myers 

might have parts if you need any (extras or otherwise), it's a good source for DB owners as you never know when you'll need them. 

Myers Early Dodge

Also, George F is helpful at Romars and tries to take time to answer questions for truck owners.

George used to frequent these forums but doesn't have much time to spend on here now that he's taken over Romar

ROMAR Home Page (romardb.com)

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)