For Sale: 1978 Ford Thunderbird Convertible - "Rare, Custom conversion" - "Good condition" - Long Beach, CA - Not Mine - 6/26 Reduced - 6/28 SOLD!

For sale on OfferUp: 1978 Ford Thunderbird Convertible in Long Beach, CA  -  $12,000 (Reduced from $15,000)  -  Must be a member of OfferUp to reply to Seller.

On 6/26, Seller reduced price to $9,000

Link: https://offerup.com/item/detail/90bab019-d129-3689-b01e-a629ff88b07c/1978-Ford-Thunderbird-Convertible

Seller's Description:

1978 Ford Thunderbird Convertible

• Condition: Good
  • 0 Miles
  • Clean title
  • Last updated 11 days ago in Long Beach, CA

Custom Coach Works of Beverly Hills converted this thunderbird to a convertible from brand new, it was sent out by Ford to be converted and sold as a factory convertible. On the title it says convertible. Custom badges are still on the car, covered headlights function as they should! 351 Motor runs good! Interior in great condition, car needs to be driven, sat for long period of time, while I had my heart transplant surgery, still fires right up!! You are welcome to inspect the car, great price for a very rare bird, less than 100 were made!

image.png.e4edcdfa2eb61c66936673050a9d245f.png

image.png.27f4a4c9c3bc04dd598015281fccc8b5.png

image.png.18462afc74d725cf0e6de037f4140da2.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

looking especially good with its top down.

I agree, but slightly awkward looking  with the top up, in my opinion. Still, if someone's a fan of these T-Birds and and likes open summer driving this might be an option. The top could be reserved for getting caught in unexpected cloudbursts. Buyer should make sure the body's been reinforced for convertible configuration.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Buyer should make sure the body's been reinforced for convertible configuration.

Excellent point, James.  I wonder how well such

conversions really are reinforced.  Bob Lutz said

(in an interview I did with him) that even some of

the production convertibles of name-brand companies

in more recent years weren't well reinforced,

"with plenty of rattle and shake left in."

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I agree, but slightly awkward looking  with the top up, in my opinion. Still, if someone's a fan of these T-Birds and and likes open summer driving this might be an option. The top could be reserved for getting caught in unexpected cloudbursts. Buyer should make sure the body's been reinforced for convertible configuration.

After the industry announced its 'last' convertible production forever in the mid-1970's, a 'cottage' industry of convertible conversion coachbuilders sprung up.  The engineering quality, fit and finish varied greatly, some were solid and well-constructed, others a real bowl-of-jelly shakers!  American Custom Coachworks was one of the larger, better-known companies.   Still, the configuration of the top often looks awkward and always consumes most of the rear seat space.   Anyone interested should always drive the car under consideration to determine if its performance is acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1978 Ford Thunderbird Convertible - "Rare, Custom conversion" - "Good condition" - Long Beach, CA - Not Mine - 6/26 Reduced

Probably worth that for the conversation value, but the basket handle roof defines the 77-79 Bird for me. Ford also used it to good effect on 78-83 Fairmont Futura coupes.

And being a Fox-body, a Fairmont Futura can easily be made into the car it should have been😈. Power, handling, anything that works on a Fox Mustang works on a Futura.

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1978 Ford Thunderbird Convertible - "Rare, Custom conversion" - "Good condition" - Long Beach, CA - Not Mine - 6/26 Reduced - 6/28 SOLD!