34 Dodge locking hub cap without keys?

jiminyfixit

I have 2 locking hubcaps without keys & I was wondering if anybody has had experience getting your lock keyed? I have attached a photo of the assembly & I see no way to get the mechanism apart, short of damaging it. I have a couple of bent key blanks as this is an Omega lock. Thanks in advance as always.

P1010144.JPG

P1010145.JPG

I have had a couple of Omega/bent key locks re-keyed when I supplied the blanks.  Was done by an old time lock and key place in San Diego, ABC Lock and Key, which unfortunately has since closed with the death of the owner.  He was an old-timer in an old time place (even had a stock of blank Omega keys on the wall) but it seemed that the basic procedure was much the same as with a regular lock once you had the blank that could be inserted into the lock.  Now, I am NOT a locksmith, that was just my observation.  I would take it to the oldest lock and key store you can find and I would bet that, with the blank in hand, the lock could be re-keyed.  Some of those Omega locks have a small pin hole in the side that can be used to remove the lock cylinder when pressed, not sure if that is the case with these hubcaps.

abclockkey.jpg

• Like 1

It's a real shame that we are losing these old-timers who had skill sets that aren't being replaced.

I have inspected everything about this lock, even looking for the magic pin hole to push a release button....to no avail. I think this lock was cheap enough back then to make it a one-time installation with no means of disassembly. I'm going to research a method to find out where the pins are inside the lock and if that doesn't work, I'm going to start using different size drill bits to get the cylinder out. I will post my results, success or fail.

Many thanks Scott for your reply!!!

Jim

On 2/12/2023 at 11:09 AM, jiminyfixit said:

I have 2 locking hubcaps without keys & I was wondering if anybody has had experience getting your lock keyed? I have attached a photo of the assembly & I see no way to get the mechanism apart, short of damaging it. I have a couple of bent key blanks as this is an Omega lock. Thanks in advance as always.

P1010144.JPG

P1010145.JPG

I took a locking 1936 Dodge Brothers hub cap to a guy in Ashland and he made a key for it. He may be able to make yours work.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I took a locking 1936 Dodge Brothers hub cap to a guy in Ashland and he made a key for it. He may be able to make yours work.

I watched a YouTube video yesterday showing an experienced locksmith "impressioning" a key. After modifying a new blank & filing to fit, you take it to a locksmith to cut another blank. The key used for impressioning will have too thin a leading edge to use as the regular key. Fortunately, I have a couple of new Omega "bent key" blanks to try this method & there seem to be several blanks on eBay.

I made the mistake a month ago by "Googling" "how to key a lock with no key" & got squat. I know better than to ignore YouTube university.:) I also made the mistake of removing the lock from the cap which would not be necessary if this impressioning method works.

I'll follow up with my results.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 8:51 PM, keiser31 said:

Hi John,

Who was it? I'm going up there next week, hopefully, to pick up my Volt from TC Chevy......bad battery module.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:51 AM, jiminyfixit said:

I watched a YouTube video yesterday showing an experienced locksmith "impressioning" a key. After modifying a new blank & filing to fit, you take it to a locksmith to cut another blank. The key used for impressioning will have too thin a leading edge to use as the regular key. Fortunately, I have a couple of new Omega "bent key" blanks to try this method & there seem to be several blanks on eBay.

I made the mistake a month ago by "Googling" "how to key a lock with no key" & got squat. I know better than to ignore YouTube university.:) I also made the mistake of removing the lock from the cap which would not be necessary if this impressioning method works.

I'll follow up with my results.

That 'impressioning' technique is what the fellow at ABC used to make the keys for me.  Again, I had a blank for him to use.  Good luck with your project.

• Like 1