How to make a magnetizer to restore your magneto

Rusty_OToole

This came up in reference to the Cushman magneto thread but I thought it best to start a new topic. The idea is, you need to recharge the magnets to make an old magneto work its best, this goes for early cars magnetos as well as small engine flywheel magnetos.  I ran across this video on how to make a magnetizer if you can't find an auto electric shop to do it for you. It only takes a few minutes and the local auto electric shop used to do it for free, but I know there aren't many old time auto electric shops left. So, if you are working on small engines and magneto equipped motors this may be the answer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

This came up in reference to the Cushman magneto thread but I thought it best to start a new topic. The idea is, you need to recharge the magnets to make an old magneto work its best, this goes for early cars magnetos as well as small engine flywheel magnetos.  I ran across this video on how to make a magnetizer if you can't find an auto electric shop to do it for you. It only takes a few minutes and the local auto electric shop used to do it for free, but I know there aren't many old time auto electric shops left. So, if you are working on small engines and magneto equipped motors this may be the answer.

Thank you for sharing! Excellent video and info.

• 6 months later...

There are several videos/articles out there on using rare earth magnets to remagnetize a magneto.  Very inexpensive and easy to do.  I made a remagnetizer for about $30 in materials.  Here is just one take on it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=magnetize+magneto&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ef732ae7,vid:pqq4dqsDz70

Here is the article I followed:

https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/equipment/implements/build-magnet-charger-zm0z22amzram/

Edited by Akstraw
Added info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A simple way to magnetize is to coil wrap a piece of magnet wire around the piece, hold one end of the wire to the battery post and scratch the other end of the wire to the other battery post . Scratch one way only . Not back and forth. The power of the magnetize piece depends on the number of coils and the voltage of the battery. Only DC current works.