1914 L-head Rod Knock or timing chain noise?

29 Chandler

Update on my Radiator.

While I have not received any updates on my radiator rebuild in a while I did see my almost completed radiator on the shop's Instagram feed yesterday. So maybe this month I'll be able to pick it up. Progress...

Chandler Radiator

Edited by 29 Chandler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

See if you can tell the difference now with new chains (x3) installed on the new sprockets:

Before

IMG_1777.jpeg.73af5058466fb9c24150f31db53f9085.jpeg

After

IMG_3189.jpeg.bcca6537dd7003e3cc53b4dea5131560.jpeg

Here's what we had to do to get an "odd" pitch installed to add one more link to the length of the chain. I had to remove two links so this "offset" link could be installed:

IMG_3190.jpeg.7723ae0ea8bbb8fa893f2270c6c16829.jpeg

Glad this phase is complete. Now I'll paint the timing chain cover and seal it up.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Well I think the mystery that started this thread over a year ago has finally be found. Today while rotating the engine and checking the timing marks on the sprockets, magneto, and the position of the valves on #1 I came upon something that I should have noticed when I first took off the valve cover.  The valve spring on the #3 intake is broken! I should replaced the springs four years ago when I installed new valves. I cannot understand now while I did not do that at the time.

image.jpeg.2e9c015f26867ddb86ab2717ac1d4898.jpeg

Hopefully finding new springs will not be an issue.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PWN said:

Does this mean your chains were not the issue?

I would say the chains were worn out but were not the cause of the change in performance that we noticed about a year ago when we were touring.

Can’t wait to see how she runs with new chains and new springs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Made some good progress on the car yesterday. Installed the timing chain cover, fan, and carefully installed the radiator. If I did not have to replace the valve springs she would be about ready to fire up.

image.jpeg.a1b0d19b7c2f71ec9f56b0969156afda.jpegimage.jpeg.c6b1eb6e3c5a6292b191edf6ad508058.jpeg

• Like 7

Looks great! I bet your are getting excited. Me too, I just received the first parts back from the painter. And the assembly begins.

• Like 1