Plymouth Knobs Keys Switch and Cables Thing 1930's?

JeffA

Bought an old garage full of car parts and tools. Mostly as near as I can tell Plymouth Dodge Buick stuff. Unfortunately I am a Chevy guy with a dash of Model A Ford. Most of the stuff I can gather up an educated guess but this doohicky has me flumoxxed. Looks like it could be the controls for a remote mounted radio but I don't know where the key switch comes in. The art deco look of it makes me think the early 1930's? Attached cables are as you can see very long. Can somebody identify and have an opinion of a fair market value?     

20230128_125955.jpg.8bf2d99559f50b220f5a2d74e4b27ac1.jpg

20230128_130039.jpg

20230128_130052.jpg

Edited by JeffA (see edit history)

Does the key switch turn the radio off and on? Would the radio then be mounted in the trunk or something? I wonder what the radio would look like as there are several what I would think are underdash or remote located radio boxes in the stash.

3 minutes ago, JeffA said:

Does the key switch turn the radio off and on? Would the radio then be mounted in the trunk or something? I wonder what the radio would look like as there are several what I would think are underdash or remote located radio boxes in the stash.

Yes on the key question and under the dash on the firewall is usually where the radio box would mount. There were also accessory antennas that could mount under the running board. Some used the wire mesh in the roof for the antenna.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sure looks like a radio head - this link shows OEM Plymouth back to 1934 and nothing is even close:

Identifying Car Radios By Image Plymouth Full Size

I'm wondering if it's aftermarket universal that one could get with the name of whatever car it was going in.  The bracket on the back could be part of a steering column mount which often was used with aftermarket radios.  No clue about the key switch - maybe to control power to radio?  Although I've never seen one with that setup.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

And this one appears to have a column mount:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmhNnFSA92nvVeOOW8n6i

The OP head sure looks like it could be a Philco with a fancier faceplate - that, and apparently that one could get it to match the car name, makes me think it might have been a high end model.  The OP said he had several radio boxes - be interesting to know if they have any Philco Transitone or other tags.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

You guys are awesome. I spent a couple of hours trying to google something up on the computer and found zilch. I think because I was putting Plymouth in the search. I know one of the radio boxes has Firestone on it and another has no markings at all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JeffA said:

I know one of the radio boxes has Firestone on it and another has no markings at all.

A rare and desirable early radio control especially because it says "PLYMOUTH". One thing you can do is see if the long coax cables mate/attach to one of the boxes you have. If it's good match-up they should easily attach by finger tight screw-on caps, one for each cable hook up. Beyond that, if you remove a cover from the box you should find a label inside with Model #.  Report it here and we'll figure out the id.