FS: (2) 36-37 (?) Buick Series 40 Transmissions

TwoLousGarage

I have 2 1936 - 1937 (I think) series 40 transmissions. Both in unknown working condition. My parts book indicates the case number (1293153) is for a 36-37 series 40. serial number on the one without shifter is 2909143. Serial number on the one with shifter is difficult to read with a different style of stamping. Asking $300 for both, picked up from Clarks Summit PA 9117F3CA-B838-4244-8410-A878C9D77FFA.jpeg.fb87017544d05f46f3640d48b2925cb3.jpeg

Edited by TwoLousGarage (see edit history)

I thought the 36 and 37 Buick 40 cases were different? Maybe not. At some point a change was made where the fill plug went straight in the side, rather than angling up (or vice versa). It does look like a Buick 40 transmission.

The one with the shifter might be a 37 Pontiac that's lost it's long tailshaft. If that piece sticking out the back is an internal spline, it's a good guess. I don't know what a 38 Pontiac transmission looks like. In 38 some had column shift and some had floor shift. I'm not sure if the long tailshaft persisted in 38. If it is Pontiac, I doubt the serial number (stamped on top just behind the top plate) will be any use.

You might find this thread interesting, especially at the end.

• Like 1

Bloo, filler hole is on the right side(not showing), my `36 is angled upwards. You may be right about the other being a Pontiac trans, the stick looks different, and speedo drive is lower. My `36 has a collar bolted to the front, for the throw out bearing to slide on, case would have threaded holes for it to mount to case. I think `37 trans has the separate piece collar, that slips into bell housing(i could be wrong). My `36 trans case has the frame number stamped on top of the trans.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Bloo, filler hole is on the right side(not showing), my `36 is angled upwards. You may be right about the other being a Pontiac trans, the stick looks different, and speedo drive is lower. My `36 has a collar bolted to the front, for the throw out bearing to slide on, case would have threaded holes for it to mount to case. I think `37 trans has the separate piece collar, that slips into bell housing(i could be wrong). My `36 trans case has the frame number stamped on top of the trans.

I`m wrong `37 has a collar, also shows straight filler hole.IMG_5118.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you both for the replies. I think we can agree the complete trans is for a 37 Pontiac. I will do more research on it to confirm and post it in the proper sales forum. 

I do not think the second trans is '38. The input shaft is larger than 1" diameter- I don't have a 1 1/4" wrench at hand, but my 1 1/8" is too small to go over it. Attaching photos of the other 3 transmissions I have. The one with no top plate came out of my 38 with 60K miles, but has no serial number on it. The middle came with my replacement 38 engine (although we know from my other thread that is a hodgepodge of parts) and also has no serial number. The third came with the parts lot i bought, but has a serial number of 330955 which would indicate its correct for a 38 based on the last post in the below thread. All 3 transmissions share the same case number - 1301637. This part number is not in my master parts book, but the 37 case number is listed as correct for 36-37. The 37 has a vertical angled fill plug, all 3 38s have the horizontal.

Edit: @pont35cpe It was your post in the thread linked I was referencing for the serial number, LOL! 

Thoughts? I will add pics from my phone. I would like to keep this thread active and moved if necessary. There seems to have been a lot of questions posted on these transmissions throughout the years. Thanks @pont35cpe and @Bloo for working through it with me! 

1 hour ago, TwoLousGarage said:

The third came with the parts lot i bought, but has a serial number of 330955 which would indicate its correct for a 38 based on the last post in the below thread. All 3 transmissions share the same case number - 1301637. This part number is not in my master parts book, but the 37 case number is listed as correct for 36-37. The 37 has a vertical angled fill plug, all 3 38s have the horizontal.

Casting number is not always the same as part number (as  the book).