A Massachusetts law protects the right to repair your own car. Automakers are suing.

f.f.jones

image.png.a74987d51bef2614c118e645eea6d4c9.png

The implication here is that independent repair shops would GO AWAY and only factory dealer mechanics/technicians  would be left to to service cars. NO COMPETITION. NO AFTERMARKET. 

In 2013, long before there was a national campaign pressuring Big Tech to make it easier for people to fix their smartphones, Massachusetts passed a law explicitly giving consumers the right to repair their cars. Now, that right is under threat. A pending federal lawsuit could decide its fate — and in so doing, transform the auto repair landscape at a time when cars increasingly resemble giant computers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/a-massachusetts-law-protects-the-right-to-repair-your-own-car-automakers-are-suing/ar-AA16dlZ0?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

• Thanks 1

Well, that's annoying, and really kind of prejudicial against those who live in the interior of the state and/or don't have the money to visit the dealer. I'm a fan of safety and keeping clunkers off the road, but its just wrong that those who are skilled at repair might be moved out of business because of a poorly written law.

The one benefit is that poorly written legislation often leads to innovation that avoids the law.

Edited by Golden73 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

As someone living in Massachusetts, I can’t help but think the stopped clock is right twice a day. They actually did something smart for once.

Obviously, the manufacturers want you tethered to them forever. I have a small independent shop in my town and I’ve been going to for 40 years. I will not buy a car that they won’t work on.

I do understand while the car is under full warranty the manufacturer may want to be the one that works on it. I’m OK with that.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Having had a shop in Massachuetts from the early 80’s to 2010, I know the gentleman behind the push for the right to repair legislation. They are not just targeting Massachuetts, they want all 50 states. It will be interesting to watch. 

• 4 weeks later...

Farmers are also going for right to repair legislation, John Deer is their target recently.