A Car's Persona: Chrome Lettering and Emblems

JDaly

Stephen Coles wrote the book The Anatomy of Type and was a creative director at FontShop. 

He also developed a body of under-appreciated auto-art work called Chromeography - an online archive of chrome lettering affixed to vintage automobiles and electric appliances.

He saw that the various emblems and chrome lettering on older cars — the “bright work” — as not just the label and name for a car but also a main source of its personality -- especially  mid - twentieth century cars (50’s and 60’s). He felt that no-one seemed to be archiving, cataloguing, saving them. That set him on a project to photograph, label, tag and publish them. 

Stephen talked about his Chromeography project,  at CreativeMornings Berlin, May 2012.

I keynoted some highlights from his talk and posted them in a Substack Post Here.

I think you'll enjoy it and its links to Stephen's work.

16 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Pontiac Logo historyThere was a reason Pontiac changed to the arrow.

Oldsmobile – Logos Download

Those logos for Oldsmobile aren't quite true. There are some Oldsmobile's of the 50-70-80-90's that use the original logo on dashes and hub caps.

example this 80-81 full size hubcap

Oldmobile Classic 1980 - 2002 Hubcaps #4075

1 hour ago, Uncle_Buck said:

I have always admired engine and model ‘callouts’.  Here is my collection that I walk past several times a day while remembering yesteryear.  🤗

Very cool. I think I remember most of these. Wonderful that you collected the ACTUAL badges.