1955 Buick special stalling issues and many other questions

55BuickSpecial

Hi there, I’m new to the forum and just had a question. 

Sorry, I have a lot of questions, thank you very much, and any information at all is helpful. 

I have a 1955 Buick special, and got it in September, 2022. I am the second owner and it has been kept in very good condition for all of its life. It has been garage kept, no rust, and all of the car is original unrestored. It did have a repaint from red to a darker blue colour, but besides that it is all original. I drove it all the way home and it was around a 300km drive, and had no issues except the battery dying, but luckily I bought one just in case. I did maintenance like changing the oil, trans, coolant, and brake already, and got new tires. 

When I start the car it turns on no problem in warmer weather, and take a bit longer to turn on in colder weather, but eventually it always turns on. Is there a correct way to start the car too, like how many times I pump gas and then start? When I get the engine fired up and then I let off the gas, you can hear the sound of the engine slowly dying, and then it just turns off. This happens almost every time, like 9/10 times. After I keep my foot on for a while and after the car is warmed up, but it takes around 20 minutes, and even after, it still my stall. it does not stall anymore. When I get it going and driving on the highway back no problem, but when I go into the city and with the stop and go traffic, it seems to stall when I come to a stop. This is my first classic car, and I was just wondering if this is normal occurrence, and is it something I can fix? I think it might have to do something with the fuel pump or the hose line, but I’m not sure. Any is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Some other questions I have as well: 

1. In the photos I have added, are the hubcaps original? And do you know another type I could buy they are period correct to 1955. (I lost one on the drive back). 

2. What other maintenance should I get done. Most of the car is is very good condition, but it has been sitting around for some time. There are a few leaks from either the transmission or somewhere in the engine bay. 

3. What are common problems with my car. I believe it has the 264 cu in engine, being a special, and just want to look out for problems, and so preventative maintenance. 

4. I bought new tires on the drive back, as the old ones were severely bald and old. I want to get a wide white wall, but don’t want to spend too much for all four. Should I buy bias-ply or Coker classics. And what is a good deal for these types of tires, used or new. 

5. My interior seats are ripped up, and headliner needs to be replaced. The previous owner put a cloth cover on, but underneath it is all ripped, and cannot just be patched up. It is a mixture of vinyl and fabric I believe. Is there any specific pattern I need to know or a design? 

6. This one I hope there is a solution. In the photos, my front bumper is less shiny than the rest of the chrome on the car. It is pretty dull I would say. I have looked online, and many people have recommended steel wool, autosol polish, and even aluminum foil and coke. I have tried some of these methods, and it has not worked. I don’t know if I’m doing it wrong, or if you guys would know a better solution. 

I also have the vin if this helps with anything like the original fabric, if that is what it shows. Also if anyone knows how to read where the car was built and all the information that can be deciphered from it, please let me know. 

Thank you for taking the time to read, and reply to any, or all of my questions. Cheers! 

7EAB396D-A4A8-4BC0-88B1-937827242A6E.jpeg

4E38ED03-DAE1-4CE7-A6BF-06D09D233B58.jpeg

0BE6AF2E-C9D3-44A7-86C0-071BB9B2DD15.jpeg

9F9CC872-F0EE-4774-B0C3-E8C73BF12778.jpeg

3A2884E8-825E-4D76-9656-850C5AF70AE8.jpeg

66DFA6FA-091F-4E13-956D-12F908647BC9.jpeg

72660D96-765F-4058-8589-9EEE042EF73E.jpeg

Welcome. I suspect the carburetor requires a rebuild to fix the poor starting and stalling issue. However, ensure the plus, wired, cap and rotor are in good shape.  It appears the car has what are known as poverty hubcaps. I run bias ply in my 54.  I wanted the old car experience thus have the bias ply.  Radials or bias ply are a personal choice. The 264 is a solid engine. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

You have the standard hubcap on your car.   There was also a full hubcap offered as extra cost on the special.  Your starting problem sounds like the choke not being adjusted correctly as well as the idle speed.  Refer to the factory service manual for adjustments.  Bias ply tires run fine on these cars as that is what they were designed for, but you could go with radials.  If you do not have power steering, I would definitely choose the bias ply tires as radials will require more steering effort at slow speeds.

The grey seat upholstery appears to be the factory seat covers.

Keep scrolling down the Forums and you will find Buick Land- a dedicated Forum for Buicks and the Buick Club of America. I haven't seen many Buick questions the folks there can't answer.

I think they're gonna like your Special!😎

If car has sat unused x2 on a carb cleaning and rebuild and a complete tuneup.

Guessing you're in Canada by the GM-Canada body plate.

• Like 1