Window felt channel

Riv Eng

Hi all,

In my continuing restoration process of my 64, I'm turning to re-upholstering the doors and quarter panels so I can be indoors for the winter. 

For the felt window channel, I see Repop parts and CARS sells them. My question is: Do they come with the stainless trim as well? Or are they just the felt? and do they come with the sheet metal channel as well? 

See attached - my stainless is in good shape, but my actual channel itself has rusted away. 

If they don't come with the stainless trim, does anyone have advice on how to remove it without damage?

Final question: the felt channels appear to have been stapled in place through the steel support. I cut the staples to remove the channel. Any idea on how to fasten the felts back in place once they have been replaced? 

Thanks! 

20221216_175445.jpg

20221216_175517.jpg

20 minutes ago, Riv Eng said:

Hi all,

In my continuing restoration process of my 64, I'm turning to re-upholstering the doors and quarter panels so I can be indoors for the winter. 

For the felt window channel, I see Repop parts and CARS sells them. My question is: Do they come with the stainless trim as well? Or are they just the felt? and do they come with the sheet metal channel as well? 

See attached - my stainless is in good shape, but my actual channel itself has rusted away. 

If they don't come with the stainless trim, does anyone have advice on how to remove it without damage?

Final question: the felt channels appear to have been stapled in place through the steel support. I cut the staples to remove the channel. Any idea on how to fasten the felts back in place once they have been replaced? 

Thanks! 

20221216_175445.jpg

20221216_175517.jpg

On the rear quarter you have 2 felt strips. One which is attached to the inner rear quarter panel that you show in your pictures and on the other side which is attached to the rear quarter window beltline stainless trim molding. The inner felt strip should come with the stainless trim attached and the felt is attached to a metal backing. The strip is reattached with staples which will be supplied with the kit. The strip will have holes predrilled but, they probably won't line up with the old holes, so you will have to drill new holes on the inner rear quarter panel to put the staples through.

To replace the outer strip you have to remove the stainless beltline trim molding first. It is held in place by 2 phillips head screws that go through the felt strip and one on the end by the lock pillar. Once you have the molding removed you can then remove the old felt strip which is held on by staples also. You will do the same as you did with the inner strip. Drill holes and put in fresh staples. Just a word of warning. If you replace the 2 phillips head screw try not to go any larger and make sure you get them screwed in as far as you can. If not, they could scratch your window glass and/or the stainless trim molding that holds the quarter window weatherstrip in place. 

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Riv Eng said:

Excellent information, thank you! 

One thing I forgot to add. When you are drilling through the beltline trim molding, put something underneath where you are drilling to protect the molding. The drill bit can pop through and damage the molding. 

Bill