Solar Lamps

Astar

If you measure and give dimensions you may get more information as to exactly what they were used on. Also any numbers on  them would also be a clue as to exact year.Phtos are excellent but a little more detailed information would help.

They seem to be in good condition without major denting or cracks in the brass.  It is a fairly commonly seem lamp but providing a number could lead us to more specific applications.  This style was also available aftermarket for use on any car the owner needed to use them on.  I'll check through some of my catalogs but I feel the date range on them is around 1909-1910. Further investigation needed.

Terry

• Like 1

They closely resemble #204 lamps.  These are listed in various auto supply catalogs as are the brackets, during the 1911-14 era. I don't believe they were supplied as original equipment to any particular car or truck.  They were available after-market.  You have the brackets switched around on them.  The spade end would mount through the bottom of the lamp mount, not the top as shown in your photos. Hard to judge condition from the photos but looks like they would clean and polish as book-shelf items for a collector.  They could be useful on a speedster of some kind.  Condition is difficult to assess from the few photos provided. I note one is dented in the back, one wick knob is missing.  More photos needed for a proper assessment.  Are you selling them or just curious about value? 

Terry

Thanks for all the Info...  I do see the number "304" on the Thumb screw which Im assuming is the model number. I see a patent date of June "09".   

Also I totally agree they are mounted upside-down.  

I do plan to sell them and looking for a far price.   These were my fathers and I see a tag on them saying 300 firm which I'm assuming that's what he bought them for. 

Thanks for the additional photos. It's difficult to try and figure out what the numbering on them might indicate as factory literature is not easy to find.  So much was destroyed once that kind of lighting became obsolete (after about 1911/12).  We're left with advertising from early motoring journals and periodicals and that level of detail was unimportant for those purposes.  Keep in mind that patent dates bear little relationship to dates of production or availability.  That "patent" could to have referred to almost any feature on the lamps.  I'm seeing decent lamps in your photos that would suit a collector, but they are not rare.  As a pair with brackets, they could be used on a speedster as if (if you prefer some "patina") or with buffing, could be used on a car to be driven. Disassembly for dent removal, professional buffing, or further restoration to show-quality would be quite expensive.  I'd say that the $300 paid for them is about tops. If you intend to sell them on evil-bay start them at half that and see how it goes.

Terry

• Like 1