Rebuilding a 1912 model 28

Rod Wise

Slowly assembling my Model 28. to find out what I am still missing.  Can,t call it a restoration as the front and back came off two different cars.

The motor had been used to run a saw bench and the front of the frame had been cut off, probably to make it easier to start the motor. 

Only two other 1912/13 Buicks with the 201 cu inch engines in Australia that I know of,  so not a lot of parts around. The chassis had been completly dismantled with a number of riveted parts being removed.  Have been lucky to obtain  parts from members of this Forum, Brass Buicks and HCCA.

Replacing rotted wood in the back of the body.

005.jpg

20221211_142241.jpg.c5f069d846c6e96d60d640736a8e3a3d.jpg

Edited by Rod Wise (see edit history)
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Replaced a lot of the wood on the back of the body.  Original wood had a lot of dry rot. I don,t think the hessian sacking over the seat springs is the original.  Missing brake and clutch pedals. Does anybody have a pattern so I can make them.  Rotated photos,  but each time I attached them they turned. 

20230120_155715.jpg

20230120_155803.jpg

20230120_155618.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/20/2023 at 1:09 PM, Rod Wise said:

Missing brake and clutch pedals.

Rod,

I have two sets of Buick pedals.  Top set measures 15" outside to outside on the mounting brackets (one side of the clutch pedal is missing.  Bottom measures 15 3/4" mounting brackets.

Pedals.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been looking for another engine as the jugs are broken at the bottom of the water jacket on my 201 cu inch motor.  A member of the Veteran Car Club heard about some early Buick motors but unfortunately they were the 165 cu inch motors.   So keep on looking.

image.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpg

IMG_4943.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Completed most of the woodwork.  Next to sand body ready for painting.

The windscreen supports I had were too short. Will need to get brass tube to make one's  to the correct length.

Removed front and rear spring hangers,  machined and installed bronze bushes to take 9/16" shackle bolts as there were no bushes. Still need to hot rivet them on.   

Still looking for a couple of jugs for the 201 cu inch motor.

1912 body 3.jpg

1912 body 1.jpg

1912 body 2.jpg

1912 frame 1.jpg

• Like 3