1987 GNX

Barney Eaton

I don't think there is a lot of GN and GNX activity here but I am trying to find some GNX information. 

Buick was going to build 500 GNX cars.    They built 547 to include cars for the Select Sixty Dealers. 

I am trying to determine if there is a code on the Service Parts label that will tell us which cars went to 

Select Sixty Dealers. ]

I have talked with some of the heavy hitters in the GN world and there does not seem to be much interest in 

helping me.

I want GNX owners or anyone that know about a GNX that can take a picture of the Service Parts label (on the underside

of the trunk lid) and send it to me,   I will compart the codes with other GNX and see if there was a code added for the 

Select sixty Dealer cars.

Buick did cars for Select Sixty Dealers in 1988 for the Reatta,  1990 for the Reatta and we have the code for those. 

They also did the 1982 Riviera Convertible which I have yet to tackle. 

If you can help send me a picture of the Service parts label of a GNX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/26/2022 at 10:05 AM, Barney Eaton said:

One month update...... I have yet to receive a single picture of a GNX service parts label.

at this pace this exercise is dead in the water.

3-month follow-up:

No access to a GNX but will check when I encounter any. Classic Cars generally hibernate out-of-sight during winter months.

I do know 50 GNXs were prepped specifically for the state of California. Whether those Units had a specific code on that sticker, I do not know.

Thanks for the reply.............. Since I have spent many hours building a Reatta database since 1996 I have an interest in learning more

about the cars that were part of the Select Sixty program.    I am amazed at the lack of information available.   

I cannot determine when the program began or when it ended.    As noted in my original post,  it has been determined that as early as 1982 the Riviera convertible

was involved,  then we know the 1987 GNX,  then the 1988 Reatta and finally the 1990 Reatta.     What we don't know were other cars involved in any other years. 

If we are able to identify the GNX cars that were involved it will not change their value either up or down,  it will just be another little bit of trivia know about the cars. 

The Select Sixty Buick Dealers (award) was from the Buick Division general manager.   We do not know the selection criterial but it was structured so that small dealers

has a chance against big dealers.     On the years we know about, the cars were usually on allotment.   This award did not "give" a car to the dealer.... it allowed the dealer

an extra allotment car.      I have enough information that in 1988 only 55 cars were coded for the Select Sixty program..... probably because some small dealers in remote 

areas had no market for a $25,000 personal car,  so they declined having the car added to their allotment.    It appears the same thing happened with the 1987 GNX.

The exception was the 1990 Reatta convertible.... that car had a number of items no available on other 1990 Reattas and for several reasons,  Buick built 65. 

Only 54 were assigned to dealers ..... it might be a chapter in a book to cover some of the stories I have heard .... one being a Dr in the Flint area that got a call from Buick 

asking if he would be interested in a special car.... it was supposed to go overseas but because of some ongoing conflict in the area, the car was available.   He owned that

Reatta until his death.