Glove box repairs

sloperlad

The paint has been chipped and damaged on the glovebox lid and surrounds, was existing damage when purchased. Being an Australian assembled vehicle I am fairly positive the dash  board cannot be removed so repairs will be instu. I am not sure if the paint applied is enamel and is the same as USA vehicles. Is there any one from OZ that could point me in the right direction in getting this repair done with the correct paint application. The colour match needs to be correct and finish right. Have taken the old girl to a few panel shops , no one seems game to do works due to age. Based in Brisbane Qld.  WIN_20210311_15_33_02_Pro.jpg.c6a90a17489974dbe1e5a7d66c660713.jpg

Since you're looking for correctness, you might research sales brochures for 1938 Australian Buicks. Maybe you can find a color photo (or even a black-and-white one that could at least reveal whether the dash was wood grained or not) that could verify a factory color.

There's a good chance that a previous owner repainted the dash. The way the gauge cluster is painted the same color as the dash tends to suggest that.

The windshield garnish paint looks a lot like one of the 2 dash/garnish colors on my 1937 LaSalle. Maybe your dash was originally similar?

I checked oldcarbrouchures.com, couldn't find any 1938 Australian Buick brochures, but found this 1939 Australian Chevy image. Looks like the dash is wood grained.

I did see a brochure for a 1948 Holden, and the dash/garnish were painted about the same  color as your garnish.

n_1939 Chevrolet-03.jpg

Edited by suchan
More Info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If I remember the garnish mouldings around the rear quarter and rear window are the original dark wood grain finish. I think the rest of the dashboard and door surrounds would be the same.

It is not too difficult to replicate with some practice and there are several posts on here how to go about it. I used a light brown base coat and a darker wood stain on a ‘40 Pontiac dashboard and finished over the top with a clear. It was not perfect but credible.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

DBD19631-76D3-4722-AC99-1DB6BB0FAA0D.jpeg

71726836-4E60-4A6B-BAC8-D893BB52D30A.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Add photos (see edit history)
  • Like 2