Teens era Pierce Arrow suspension setup

There is a car up for auction in Sydney that has been put together to look like a teens era Pierce Arrow. The leaf spring suspension runs the full length of the frame. Did Pierce Arrow cars ever have a suspension setup like this?

There was an Australian-made car back in the twenties that had this style of suspension as an option and I'm wondering if the frame/suspension is off one of these cars?

The car is here:

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2022-shannons-spring-timed-online-auction/JC4DIBZ5BA6IQ7VE/

c1915-pierce-arrow-model-38-open-tourer-replica-rhd 2.jpg

c1915-pierce-arrow-model-38-open-tourer-replica-rhd.jpg

Edited by Jorge Amado (see edit history)

Could be based on an Aussie built "Lincoln" car, same name as the US car but a separate make, using the Acme spring system. The word is Henry Ford in February 1922 rode in an "Australian Six" car, fitted with the spring system, taken to the US to demonstrate to potential investors.  Apparently, Henry was impressed! Or maybe based on an Aussie built "Summit" car, only 500 of which were produced, but all had the Acme spring system.

Acme suspension.jpg

Acme suspension.2.jpg

Edited by Ozstatman
photo added (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The offending vehicle in the Shannon auction reminds me of this concoction which turned up at this year's local swap meet. I was cobbled up quite a few years ago but hasn't been seen for a long time. It purports to be a 1915 Underslung but it made up from 1920s Willys-Knight bits.

306947230_10160527479433969_5385577964645058968_n.jpg

On 10/21/2022 at 8:03 AM, nzcarnerd said:

The offending vehicle in the Shannon auction reminds me of this concoction which turned up at this year's local swap meet. I was cobbled up quite a few years ago but hasn't been seen for a long time. It purports to be a 1915 Underslung but it made up from 1920s Willys-Knight bits.

306947230_10160527479433969_5385577964645058968_n.jpg

I wonder what type of underslung he was going for? American Motors went into receivership in 1913 & Regal made their last underslung car in 1914. Norwalk is the only other company I can think of but I don't think they made many cars at all.

This was on a Swedish Columbia Six website listing know remaining Columbia Six cars:

"1920 Light Six (believed to have been a Sports Tourer) - This was complete except for the back half of the body when purchased by B. Bronk (found in the Riverina District of N.S.W.) who wanted the engine for an Australian Lincoln. The remains were then sold to B.Bradbury who wanted the chassis and running gear for a 1917 Pierce Arrow that he was building. What was left radiator, petrol tank, bonnet and magneto was purchased by me for spares."

The ad below refers to "non-syncronising Spring Suspension". Maybe the car for auction has the Columbia setup?

ColumbiaSixVenice1920.jpg

17 hours ago, Jorge Amado said:

I wonder what type of underslung he was going for? American Motors went into receivership in 1913 & Regal made their last underslung car in 1914. Norwalk is the only other company I can think of but I don't think they made many cars at all.

Hard to say. I am not sure when it was done but perhaps the owner had the parts available and just wanted to put together something different. I don't have a shot with its registration plate visible. If I did I would be able to find out when it first went on the road.

This suspension setup reminds me very much of the equalizer system used on locomotives.

On 10/20/2022 at 12:48 AM, Ozstatman said:

Could be based on an Aussie built "Lincoln" car, same name as the US car but a separate make, using the Acme spring system. The word is Henry Ford in February 1922 rode in an "Australian Six" car, fitted with the spring system, taken to the US to demonstrate to potential investors.  Apparently, Henry was impressed! Or maybe based on an Aussie built "Summit" car, only 500 of which were produced, but all had the Acme spring system.

Acme suspension.jpg

Acme suspension.2.jpg

This appears to be a variation on the equalized suspension of a locomotive. 

Image from page 201 of "Railway and locomotive engineering… | Flickr

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)