Handicap Parking Near The Show Field

parrts

We were waved away from Handicap Parking on Friday because "they're full" and were directed to our spaces in the Chocolate Field.  Seriously?  We circled through town, back to AACA HQ where we were told by an AACA employee (He had on an AACA name badge.) that, in spite of my passenger's valid placard, we couldn't use one of the four vacant Handicap Spaces, obviously not near and not being used by the race car display in the lot.  I asked about the car parked there and he told me that was his car.  So handicapped or not, he can park there but no one else could?  I don't want to make a Federal Case out of it, but it probably is.  We left Hershey and headed home early, but as long as neither of us hasn't reached our expiration date, hope to return in 2023 and find officials who have a few functioning brain cells and maybe a little compassion.

Henry Feinberg and Dale Powers, both AACA Life Members

Edited by parrts
grammar (see edit history)

My wife and I were told we could park at handicapped lot by giant center if we came early. We arrived at 8am and were told lot was full. Ended up at chocolate world. Unloaded my wife’s scooter and went to the show. Long ride took toll on battery but she found a plug at library that they let her use. 

Gentlemen, sorry for all of this but I will work with the Hershey Region to seek more handicapped parking.  As to whoever refused you spots at our building it was not an employee.  We did decide to close our lot down due to trailer traffic and safety concerns.  Our lot was to be used for race cars, loading and unloading of early cars and certain officials.

Security and Hershey Region members did have instructions on only placarded vehicles allowed. Hank, we actually contacted our legal counsel's ADA department to make sure we could close the lot. We had a few near misses with trailers people and cars coming in the previous year so we sought a remedy.  The solution is not four spaces as it sounds like we have a bigger problem.  We were assured of plenty of handicapped parking for Friday but apparently such was not the case.  

• Like 2

Even though a lot of vendors were still open on Friday this year, there were still a lot of open spaces in the Orange Field on Friday.

Give Orange Field venders a sticker (maybe just a big orange dot) they can put down on asphalt in front of their space/spaces if they leave Thursday afternoon, indicating they won't be back, and use those so indicated spaces as overflow handicap parking for the show.

• Like 2