Production numbers reported to the NACC 1928-1932

Hello all, 

I've been working on attempting to find proof of Dodge and Graham Brothers production numbers and have ran into a dead end at every turn and am asking for some help.  I'm trying to summarize the best I can with a 10th grade education so forgive me if I am outlining incorrectly and/or my poor grammar.

I've found throughout my years of research (about a decade now) that the Dodge truck models do go in a chronological order according to frame #. However, the production totals for all DB and GB models are nowhere to be found as they always seemed to be lumped together in the totals reported to the NACC in such sources as Automotive Industries, Wards Yearbooks, Facts and Figures etc... during the years I'm studying which are 1928-1932. This four year period was considered the "transition" years after the Chrysler buyout of Dodge and has always been unclear to many truck owners due to the complexity of information being in so many hands and the fact that there was no structure per model as they were all built along side each other randomly without any clear pattern other than the frame #'s being in chronological order. You sometimes see a 3/4 ton built with frame # 231751 may have had a 6 cylinder engine with a 3 spd transmission then the very next truck could have been a 2 ton with frame #231752 with a 4 cylinder engine and a 4 spd transmission hence, we may never know the totals per model but I'd like to find out if we can at least get an idea of the overall numbers produced per year under the Dodge Brothers Division of Chrysler at the time. 

Using a "Facts and Figures of the Automotive Industry 1931 edition" I am showing examples of how the production numbers were presented in the publication. Using these pages you can see that there is no clarification per manufacturer as they were again, all lumped together by weight rating and other factors such as "produced in Canada" and "US and Canadian figures combined" and of course all the "Foreign Assemblies" as a seperate figure in the overall lumped together totals.

My questions are many, but I will attempt to keep it as brief as possible.

Out of all the vehicles that were reported to the NACC, I've found nothing showing the totals for each manufacturer. 

Question #1) Does anyone know where these figures reside so I can find the Dodge and Graham Brothers production totals from each year individually from 1928-1932 (if there is such a publication)?

Below are examples of how the numbers are lumped together.

Starting on page 229 of this link:

#230 - Automobile facts and figures. 1929-1931. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library

image.png.a942dae70603431b9757c53fd2be2691.pngimage.png.390680ff191ad76ff403f17530d881e8.pngimage.png.fda75fcd7605b117401070e398f7a066.pngimage.png.d4e12fba6413593167c5f84c390c0d3c.pngimage.png.f76c397942b4796cec57d6320e287d84.pngimage.png.786eb98dd8f66bbae598efa81db87d5c.pngimage.png.196a621567540d36599d8ae7bb37c84a.png

I did find a name in in the Daily Consular and Trade Reports of AW Childs who was the Chief of the Automotive section and I assume his office may have had a role in finalizing the world wide numbers as they were reported to the NACC. 

See page 8, A.W. Childs is listed 3rd from the top left.

#7 - Daily consular and trade reports. 1931:1. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library

Question 2) Am I going about this the right way in order to meet my objective of finding production totals per auto manufacturer?

Appreciate any and all help

Regards
Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

• 10 months later...

Surely I can't be the only person interested in finding production totals per manufacturer from the 1928-32 era?

I've looked in every type of Commerce Reports but have not found one clue as to which publication the figures may be located. 

Here's a small list of some of the publications I've searched during the years 1928-32

Daily consular and Trade Reports

Bureau of Domestic Commerce

Bureau of Foreign and Domestic Commerce

Weekly Commerce Reports

Commerce Yearbooks and reports of anything I can think of related to the National Chamber of Commerce regarding automobiles.

I've also searched countless other journals, magazines etc... from Automotive Industries to Iron Age to Wards Automotive Yearbooks. Some of those publications do mention the Automotive production totals per month but they do not break down the totals per manufacturer nor do they give a source of where to look for their conclusions. 

Is there anyone out there who might have a better idea where to look for automotive production totals per manufacturer or is this something that was never published?

Thanks again for any help

Dave

Here's an example from a Iron Age June 1930 edition showing the wording for all manufacturers are lumped together with no clues to where the source material might actually be located with a slight reference to "Dept of Commerce". The Chamber of Commerce consumer report publications are even more elusive and vague

image.png.4758f791d600e1e06e502748c0ce90da.png

Sample of publications checklist showing some of the publications I've researched. When you find item publication #63 it does not give totals by individual manufacturers

image.png.042c147cc70b9b532bac3d7a44c1c493.pngimage.png.883036b5b71bf97a75b64c520acb1915.pngimage.png.99a4583d43e0ebbc3dd27676b620040d.png

1 hour ago, Graham Man said:

You want to pick up a copy of this book, great book, it covers the years the Graham Brothers worked with Dodge.  It is maliciously researched and has a extremely detailed bibliography.

image.png.4a9091a3dd18044b1c5b157a4d5fcce5.png

Perhaps “meticulously” rather than “maliciously researched”?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Graham Man said:

You want to pick up a copy of this book, great book, it covers the years the Graham Brothers worked with Dodge.  It is maliciously researched and has a extremely detailed bibliography.

Thank you for your response Graham Man

Do you know if it covers the exact date of the agreement between Graham and Dodge Brothers and does Keller show his primary sources? I've seen confidential bulletins that state the partnership wasn't signed until spring of 1921 yet the Dodge model charts show 1920 as the beginning of the 1000-3000 series trucks. This has always been perplexing to me and hopefully the book clarifies this fact, but I really don't need another book riddled with secondary source errors and assumptions for a C note respectfully.

If it has the primary sources listed and clarifies this discrepency for the beginning of when the agreement was signed then it's well worth the price however. 

Thank you again

Dave

image.png.8074129a94707f63cdedc325867dc11b.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 1:40 AM, Graham Man said:

The book is way out of my reach. Are there any other books on Grahams and Paiges?