Questions on Tires 1967 Cadillac DeVille

Ok so I caught the bug , I want to  bring my car for Senior judging . It currently has a set of radials on it  and I Plan on purchasing a set of bias ply tires before the next show I attend , So the question is the car  calls  for 900-15 as per  the  owners manual and the sticker in the  door frame  . I looked in service manuals and  Brochures  and found the  car came with a dual stripe white wall tires , inner 1/2 "  to 9/16th white wall and an 1/8 th  to 3/16th  outer strip .(the picture  is  enclosed ) 2 from a brochure and one from the tire in my trunk .I  believe the tire  is original . The problem is i cant find this style  tire any place , Does any one know a vendor? I  found a similar tire at Cooker but  its not exact as it has  3 stripes instead of 2 . So the question is  ,how critical is it to  have the exact side wall that came on the car. is it just the correct size? I don't mind  investing in tires, but I  would hate to invest in them  only to find out  they  would be taking the same 8 point hit as my  radials did.  Can any one give any insight  

68364877107__A1713201-ED5B-4115-A235-8D48B2402191.jpeg

IMG_3239.jpeg

IMG_3240.jpeg

IMG_3271.jpeg

Your spare tire appears to be an original dual stripe (one thin, one wide) white wall.  These were used on Cadillac for 1967-1968.  The triple stripe white wall offered by Coker is correct for the 1965-1966 Cadillac.  As the correct replacement tire is not available, you can write the VP of Class Judging, to request an exception to use the tire you select.  If approved, that letter is your documentation that the tire is acceptable.  The process (and documents to be submitted) is outlined in the Judges Guidelines under tires.  

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1

From the Judges Guidelines:

Owners not able to find a correct replacement tire should send a letter to the VP Judging indicating the specific size of the correct tire and that at least two tire manufacturers have been contacted and the correct tire is not available. Tires one size larger or smaller are acceptable. A letter from the VP Judging is the ONLY AACA ACCEPTED documentation regarding a vehicles' substitute tires. Any letter issued by the VP Judging should be shown to the Team Captain at the time of vehicle judging.

• Like 1

61 polara Thank you for the advice, I did just that and sent a request to the VP of judging requesting guidance . I missed the sale Coker was having last week end but I am sure they will have another. 

2 hours ago, 1967 Red Deville said:

61 polara Thank you for the advice, I did just that and sent a request to the VP of judging requesting guidance . I missed the sale Coker was having last week end but I am sure they will have another. 

You might check with Summit Racing, thats where I was buying my tires, same as Coker but they offered free shipping which amounts to a fair sum. 

• Like 1

So I found a chart on line and it tells me 8.20-15 is same as 900-15 same as L78-15 , so I found a L78-15 at universal vintage tire that has almost the  correct dual strip except its little strip inside and big stripe out side , As I await the VP reply my door frame says needs a 900-15 ,if its a L78 bias is it the same thing or does  it have to read 900-15

And let me say I greatly apreceate all of the input, 

Edited by 1967 Red Deville (see edit history)

For AACA judging purposes, it must be a 900-15, unless you have a letter from the VP of Class Judging that the L78 is acceptable.  Your letter to the VP of Judging should specify the tire you want to use and why that tire is the best substitute for the original 900-15 dual stripe tire.  

Since you still can't find the exact white wall style, I think one of the 900-15 tires that are available would be a better choice than the L78.

Note that an 8.20-15 tire is actually two sizes smaller than the 900-15 tire required on your Cadillac.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I just ordered a set of Bias Ply tires from Cooker as they were in stock,on sale, and free shipping (yes I did find Summit offered almost free shipping) 

I am supposed to get them tomorrow , Talk about fast shipping , Although they are not the exact side wall Cadillac had on the car. they are the correct 900-15 that was on the car wen it left the showroom , I found a correct side wall but it was a L78 Bias ply and I never heard back from Stan if he would excuse the tire size for the perfect side wall, So I went with a Perfect size instead as suggested, Chances are if Your not a Cadillac lover you would never know its not a perfect match . the tire I need was a 2 year only design 67 & 68 , and in 1969 and on it became the L78 size. .29 inch smaller in over all diameter .

if any one needs tire Cooker is have a sale till the new year 

Ill post pictures once i get mine 

Thank you ever one for your input on this , Look forward to meeting you folks at Gettys burg if your there 

6 hours ago, 61polara said:

I think you made the right decision for AACA judging.  I think you will hear from Stan, but he has been traveling a lot for work out of the country since Hershey.

Yes thank you ,I hate when work gets in the way of our hobby, With  these tires being on back order for more then a year .I did not want to take a chance of not getting a set. And as crazy at it was I actually recived my tires today , 

6DFDCEC4-A3A9-467E-A1D2-AD5FC3044A12.jpeg