* 63 64 65 Riviera Stereo Thread*

gungeey

I have a factory 64 riviera am fm radio that I had converted to high power electronic signal seeking.  All of the dials work just like they did in 1964 but high powered sound, excellent am fm non drifting reception, and electronic tuning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dr914 said:

I have a factory 64 riviera am fm radio that I had converted to high power electronic signal seeking.

I had both, the AM signal seeking (wonderbar) as well. The AM/FM died within 30 minutes after sitting on a shelf for 30 years. I was unaware of Aurora design at the time. I changed all electrolytic capacitors in the AM/FM and it functioned again. Then I modified it. I'm happy with it except for the tuner/preset mechanics. I cleaned, lubed and adjusted for operation. Now, long after installation, the tuner slips a little one-way. With time, gotten worse. Need to use a preset button to return to the other end of the dial.

Thought the Wonderbar would be the best candidate for a quality conversion. However, a recent bench test, it works!

The Delco PS compound capacitor has 3 in a can. I cut it open, gutted the can and stuffed 2 fresh capacitors in it. Wrapped it with foil muffler tape. The 3rd capacitor is external.

Ya, a modern conversion is best.

image.png.c4a7c97b4b0b79c0ee5a9afeda746545.png

Ed, Here is a post on my install with the same issue.

And this.

I installed a Vintage Air in my car and yes it is a bit of a challenge to fit it up tight inside, some minor cutting in the center area, and making some extensions for the floor vents, it is very doable using VA’s Gen4 evaporator unit. I think anyone that is up to doing their own work on a car can do this. I had the luxury of being able to do the firewall stuff without working around the engine, mine was out for other work, but others have done this with engine in place. I think one of the nicest things is to be able to use the original controls on my 63 car. 

The biggest downside for me was losing about an inch of space for the radio and that eliminated the use of the original unit. I have discussed this in other threads.  The VA seems to put out plenty of cold air. I’ve had it keep the inside tolerable in 90* plus with the windows down this summer. The thing with converting a R12 to R134 is one unit is made for a particular type of gas and changing over to another will diminish performance. My original AC looked to be rebuildable but once I got into the job it was going to be a lot like what Turbinator Bob went through.

So a conversion was looked into. As we are seeing with something as simple as getting an air filter has become impossible and any replacement part questionable as to their reliability will be even more so in the future. My decision to go this route was a matter of reliability and access to parts in the future. The VA conversion has been the least troublesome thing done so far on this car. Installed/charged and has worked fine since. Can’t  say that about the other things that I’ve done. 

I’ve got a good car but it is at best a driver and really doesn’t deplete the gene pool of all the strong original cars out there. It looks original inside and out until you open the hood.

Ray

• Like 2