1914 American Motors Underslung. Need information

I have just purchased a 4 seat restored tourer with non original radiator and engine and would like to find out as much as possible about the car and the manufacturer. The motor installed is a Willys sleeve valve. Hemmings Motor News says various proprietory engines were used including Teetor-Hartley 43HP, What engines were used and how do I find one? I need drawings or photos of an original radiator so I can have one made. Any information or leads would be greatly appreciated

I was wondering if you have any interest in selling the Underslung or possibly trading it for a running early car.

I have always admired the American Underslungs and I would be willing to undertake quite a project to have one.

I can be reached at cpadgett@e-erb.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Chris

The car is ex a Musuem 1 hour by road North of Brisbane Australia. The present owner has had it for about 8 years and completed assembly and painting. The owner before restored the car to a high standard over a 15 year period, so it has been in Australia for some time. I took a punt and purchased the car sight unseen and will not have it delivered back to New Zealand for about another 4 weeks. When I get the car I will post some photos.

• 10 years later...

Who is the resident expert on American (Underslung)? Does Tone's son still have all the company info?

I am researching the provenance of the Seal Cove Auto Museum's American as we prepare it for the Amelia Island Concours in March. We know it was owned by Larz Anderson, Isabel Weld Perkins Anderson, and Briggs Cunningham.

Many of you will have the H. Austin Clark Jr., postcard of the car from when it was in Cunnigham's Santa Monica Museum, but the true date of manufacture and model are proving hard to pin down. The post card says 1910, old notes from the Cunningham Automotive Museum have it listed as both 1910 and 1911, other sources have it listed as 1913!!! It is also identified as a Traveler in most references and also as a Tourist. Wb is 124", which if built in 1910 makes it a regular chassis Tourist. Serial number is 2465, Engine no., 2051. The original owner was Ambassador Larz Anderson (No, the Larz Anderson Museum have no info, other than it is the "missing" American)

It sports a unique windshield built by Vanden Plas and installed in Belgium when Ambassador Anderson had it there. The short landeau top is also unique. The car has not been restored since Mrs. Anderson owned it and sold it to Cunningham in 1948... It still has her 'Captain Ginger' monogram on the door that can be see in old post cards, and photos of the car. (Captain Ginger was the character in children's books she wrote)

Any leads, info, or help in nailing down this wonderful car would be most appreciated. Roberto M Rodriguez, Executive Director, Seal Cove Auto Museum.

post-69114-143142231309_thumb.jpg

post-69114-143142231296_thumb.jpg

post-69114-143142231323_thumb.jpg

The side lamps are proud of the cowl,,on Rod Bloods 1913,the lamps were in a pocket in the cowl as i recall,,Is this car with electric start,,[32vsystem]?,,

Is it 4cyl or 6,,and is there markings of Hartley,,or just Teetor,

I have a car w/ 6cyl Teetor [no Hartley markings],,1913,,Gray-Davis starter

Rod was interested in documenting things,,I do not know where his info came from,,

Rods car was originally fron Kennebunk or the "Port'' and broke an axle so it was a lo milage car,,All for now,,Ben

The side lamps are proud of the cowl,,on Rod Bloods 1913,the lamps were in a pocket in the cowl as i recall,,Is this car with electric start,,[32vsystem]?,,

Is it 4cyl or 6,,and is there markings of Hartley,,or just Teetor,

I have a car w/ 6cyl Teetor [no Hartley markings],,1913,,Gray-Davis starter

Rod was interested in documenting things,,I do not know where his info came from,,

Rods car was originally fron Kennebunk or the "Port'' and broke an axle so it was a lo milage car,,All for now,,Ben

Ben,

• 4 cyl.
  • Rayfield carb, brass and copper brazed construction with 4 ports going into cyl. blocks.
  • Electric lights were fitted when in Anderson's possesion, necessitating a generator which is driven by link chain behind the timing case, using the waterpump drive shaft.
  • Ignition; a Bosch magneto is located on the left side of the engine. In addition to the magneto there is a vibrator coil box.
  • No electric start, can not see either Hartley or Teetor markings.
  • Lubrication; by gear driven pump in crankcase.
  • Cooling; fan is cast aluminum with 6 blades with annular shroud around. All copper tube water manifolding with brass fittings. The water return manifold has single outlet on top of each block going into a single pipe that branches out to a left and right hand connection at radiator.

Cheers,

Roberto

Seal Cove Auto Museum