1949 Dodge Coronet Transmission Question

Racecar_Randall

Hey All, 

Im new to the forums, but I’m glad I’m here after reading so many informative posts. I purchased this 1949 coronet out in Delphi Indiana. Drove her 120 miles with no problem all the way home. Well a wheel cylinder gave out but believe it or not my local parts store had the replacement upper wheel cylinder in stock and I installed it and restored brake pressure. I’m now going through the car and doing a full tune up. The transmission shifts fine but the clutch pedal has gotten stuck a couple times. I’m assuming the fluid may be low. I popped the cover off on the right side under the dash however I’m confused. Do I fill with 10W there or on the side of the transmission. Pictures would be helpful. Thx guys! 

E65D55AE-1A1D-42BE-821A-DB9C437DD53A.jpeg

Edited by Racecar_Randall
Misspelling (see edit history)

If it is the Fluid Drive model, the transmission and Fluid Drive are filled separately. As you know there is a plate in the floor on the right side of the transmission hump below the dash board. Take off the plate and you see the bellhousing with a round hole. Originally it had a tin knockout plug which you can pry out. Inside is the Fluid Drive unit. "bump" the starter until the fill plug comes into view. Unscrew the fill plug and you can top up the fluid. *important* stuff a rag around the hole before you take out the plug. If you drop the plug it can fall inside the bellhousing if you don't. Then you are in trouble. I would hate to tell you how I found this out.

The transmission is filled separately. On the right side of the trans there are two pipe plugs. The lower one is the drain, the upper is the fill. Take out the upper plug and stick your finger in the hole, if you can touch oil it is fine. If not fill it up until oil drips out.

Both the Fluid Drive and transmission take the same kind of oil. We use TDH Tractor fluid, ISO 32 grade. You can get it at auto parts stores, farm supply, and Walmart. Or you can use straight 10W motor oil but that is hard to find these days.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Racecar_Randall said:

Thank you guys for your responses. I’ve been working but I’m planning to get to both checking the fluid and I will check the linkage. Anything specific I should be looking for Terry ? This is all new to me, feels like learning in school haha. Thx in advance 

Look at the link Roy posted.  That will be a start.  Good luck.

• Like 1