41 Chrysler Carb Rebuild Recommendations

41WindsorHighlander

Carbking is no longer restoring, due to the time constraint from the production of carburetor kits.

I have been looking for a qualified rebuilder to recommend since I lost my friend Larry at Classic Carbs in Phoenix, and they closed the doors.

So far, have not found anyone to recommend.

I have said this before, but currently there is a TERRIFIC market for a competent carburetor rebuilder/restorer. We turn down an average of 20~25 jobs weekly.

As to the carburetor belonging to the OP; this is NOT a carburetor for an amateur. The BBR design by Chrysler, and sublet to Carter for production, is (opinion) up there with the Rochester B, and a few others for worst downdraft carburetor design.

If carbking were still restoring carburetors, he would not do this one!

EDIT: to the OP - MOST, perhaps all, of the BBR carbs were designed such that with no throttle return spring (or a broken one), the engine would run at about 3/4 throttle!!!!! If I owned one of these, I would make certain that I used TWO throttle return springs, and would inspect them annually. The throttle return spring is what allows the engine to idle!

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Carbking for your reply- Once I looked at the exploded view of the carb in the shop manual, and realized the trans shifting is directly linked to the carb functioning correctly I decided to let a professional rebuild it. I had already purchased the rebuild kit from OldMoparts and it looks complete, so I will send that with the carb- I am going to call a few people and see if anyone has experience with this carb. Have an awesome day. Health is Wealth! Rob