For Sale: 1941 Hudson Six Deluxe 2dr Sedan - $12,000 - Moon township, Pittsburgh, PA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1941 Hudson Six Deluxe 2dr Sedan - $12,000 - Moon township, Pittsburgh, PA

Classic car - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Selling my 41’ Hudson, been a great car and fun to own. Currently buying something else and need to sell this one. Since I’ve owned the car put a lot of time and money into it. Fixed shorted brake wires. Full tune up (Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condenser, coil.). Rebuilt carb. New wet clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate assembly. 4 corner brake job with rebuild kit all wheel cylinders, Restored parking brake. Dropped and cleaned oil pan (I can explain more about that). Rebuilt starter (had a shop do the job). odometer: 94000
Also have extra parts for vehicle as well as shop manuals and online content, flash drive will be needed.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions. $12,000 OBO
Copy and paste in your email: 23420cc35bb031daadb2cf070d0e1acd@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1941 Hudson Six Deluxe 2dr Sedan.

'41 Hudson Six Deluxe PA a.jpg

'41 Hudson Six Deluxe PA b.jpg

'41 Hudson Six Deluxe PA c.jpg

'41 Hudson Six Deluxe PA d.jpg

'41 Hudson Six Deluxe PA e.jpg

'41 Hudson Six Deluxe PA f.jpg

'41 Hudson Six Deluxe PA g.jpg

'41 Hudson Six Deluxe PA h.jpg

• Like 3

The lower rocker area on a 41 is different from a 46-47. 41 rocker area is the same as the 46-47 trucks. 46-47 passenger car rocker area is really a covered running board. Covered by the flare on the door bottoms. Front fender are just a little different where they fit up to the flare on the cars, compared to the running boards on the trucks. To bad being knowledgeable about 46-47 Hudson’s doesn’t pay anything.😂🤔😒

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Xander: 

Thanks for the information, I wonder whether they changed the tooling or simply added pieces to cover the running boards.  if those pieces are removed and the running boards removed, is it possible to make pieces like the 1941 rockers since I seem to remember the running boards were optional for 1941.

Steve

The black truck is stretched with two door sedan doors. The truck that is being chopped is stretched with coupe doors, and the green truck cab, is also stretched with coupe doors. The chopped truck has a coupe roof welded on for the front half. And you will see the drip rail on the roof. Trucks did not come with drip rails. You will also see the two door sedan door. Is flat across the top. Where the coupe door has a curve shape to it. On the green cab you can see the shape of the door top does not fit the opening in the back.

wood grain 015.JPG

20130703_191020.jpg

jag and phil's truck 098.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

What’s in the clear bottles? Booze?

THAT is Hudson's "Automatic Battery Filler". 

Three compartments to hold distilled water and replenish the battery as needed. 

In the 1970s there were tons of NOS ones around, and always several at every swap meet.  Kind of like all the NOS Tucker radios that have FINALLY become scarce. 

IMG_5422.jpg

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Did Hudson just tack those lower body flared pieces onto the 1941 bodies?  Are the doors done that way too? 

And this was a major Hudson advancement for 1942! 

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Xander: 

Thanks for the information, I wonder whether they changed the tooling or simply added pieces to cover the running boards.  if those pieces are removed and the running boards removed, is it possible to make pieces like the 1941 rockers since I seem to remember the running boards were optional for 1941.

Steve

Yes you could fabricate a lower rocker for a 46-47. Like the ones on 41’s there are also running board braces that mount to the frame supporting the bottom of the running board area. Very little changed for Hudson going back into the 30’s. Hudson just made slight changes and called it a new design. I am sure it is millions of dollars to change tooling and dies. Do not think Hudson could ever compete with other auto manufacturers in that department.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Yes you could fabricate a lower rocker for a 46-47. Like the ones on 41’s there are also running board braces that mount to the frame supporting the bottom of the running board area. Very little changed for Hudson going back into the 30’s. Hudson just made slight changes and called it a new design. I am sure it is millions of dollars to change tooling and dies. Do not think Hudson could ever compete with other auto manufacturers in that department.

I recall reading in the old "Special Interest Autos" (SIA) magazine, I believe, that Hudson bodies from 1937 through 1947 were all essentially the same substructure, cowl and windshield stamping, that incremental changes kept the cars current.  The unusually wide, low windshield compared to other contemporary cars seem to confirm that.  Tooling costs with the advent of all-steel bodies as the industry standard pressed the independent automakers particularly hard because they produced so many relatively fewer cars over which to amortize those tooling costs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Very little changed for Hudson going back into the 30’s. Hudson just made slight changes and called it a new design.

And THIS is what sends a company into bankruptcy. "Failure to innovate".

Yes, changes and innovations cost money but not keeping up with the times puts you farther and farther from your competitors.  

V-8s, automatic transmissions are frightfully expensive, but even unseen changes and innovations that might reduce your unit cost slightly would bring in cash to make improvements elsewhere.

I suspect that many of the independent's engineering departments were filled with long time employees who had developed something years ago and became possessive of their design and saw no reason to change it, so it just soldiered on. When a change was eventually demanded, they were too far behind to catch up. 

A question I have never seen researched is how much recruiting were the independents doing from each years graduating engineering students. There are many stories saying "Right out of college I was hired by (one of the big 3) and put into an internship program".  There were obviously old guys in the big 3, but I suspect that they knew they had to stay current.  

A new graduate at an independent, working with people who should have long retired, would likely have all their ideas rejected.  "We just don't do it that way around here". With the new graduate quickly moving on to a company that wants new ideas. 

• Like 2