WTB: Carburetor For A 32 LaSalle Straight Eight

9Chllenger

LaSalle wasn't a straight eight in 1932, it was a V-8..........so it's a very rare carburetor. 😏

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, carbking said:

In 1934, LaSalle went to a downdraft Stromberg

Jon.

15 hours ago, 9Chllenger said:

It is my brother's car and it is a 1934 straight eight

Jon, I talked with that brother in person a month ago.  He said that the car restoration shop broke "one casting" on his original 34 LaSalle carb.  I suggested that he contact you on your website to see if you might have a spare Stromberg casting piece from a different car that would interchange with the broken casting on his.

He did not know exactly which casting piece was broken because the car is still at that shop.  

My suggestion now is to get pictures of what is broken on his original carb so that a solution might happen.  Either go to the shop to take pictures or have the shop send pictures to show which casting is broken.

1 hour ago, F&J said:

Jon, I talked with that brother in person a month ago.  He said that the car restoration shop broke "one casting" on his original 34 LaSalle carb.  I suggested that he contact you on your website to see if you might have a spare Stromberg casting piece from a different car that would interchange with the broken casting on his.

He did not know exactly which casting piece was broken because the car is still at that shop.  

My suggestion now is to get pictures of what is broken on his original carb so that a solution might happen.  Either go to the shop to take pictures or have the shop send pictures to show which casting is broken.

The original would have been an EE-23 (basically an EE-22 with a superiority complex a.k.a. automatic choke).

The EE-2, EE-22, EE-23, and EE-25 carbs were Stromberg's first "thin wall casting". The bowls would break if the mechanic did not use two wrenches when attaching/detaching the fuel line from the carburetor.

Stromberg did reinforce this area of the bowl in 1934; AND issue service bulletins to all of the auto manufacturers using these carburetors. The auto manufacturers reissued the bulletins to their dealers, who distributed the bulletins to their mechanics. And the mechanics.........................well the bulletins were printed on softer paper than the Sears and Sawbuck catalogues............................ ;)  And modern "mechanics"??? Maybe used an airwrench!

There are several different bowls, ALL of which are EXPENSIVE, as this has been an issue for 80 years!

Jon

• Like 1

Post photos of the carb……clear, multiple photos. I probably have one at my home up north……which I am heading to tomorrow and won’t be back there till November. No guarantees……..but it’s probably a 90 percent chance.

Only the center section has any value.  I’ll be at the shop tonight the first time in about six months. I’ll check my cabinet. 👍

Thanks John……..

that puts the odds to Slim to None…….and Slim is on vacation. I shall take a look anyway, I think I have a half a dozen of them.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Ed - if you don't have one, I'll dig in my stash. I only have maybe half a dozen EE-23's, and I don't remember a LaSalle. 

On the other hand, if I didn't have a "standard" breakfast, I wouldn't remember what I had for breakfast this morning ;) 

Jon

• 2 weeks later...