1949 Roadmaster hood

autonut

I purchased this auto about two years ago. One of the problems I have is the hood. It is one hell of a hood. A Very Full & Heavy piece of metal to lift. If lifting one side the lift holding bar IS ALWAYS on the other side!!  Plus on my auto, not sure about others, but when you pull the lift lever inside the auto, it lifts that back part of the hood but does not release the front part of the hood. This is the same on both sides. Thus I really have to struggle each and every time I have to get under the hood to add oil or whatever.  Surely there must be some solutions for this dilemma.  I am thinking of adding another lift holding bar so I have one on each side. That would at least solve one problem. But why can't I open the hood when I pull the inside release lever?

Back in 1949 it would have been impossible for a woman to ever get under or into the engine compartment to change oil or whatever.  I find this rather discomforting.  Auto mfgs. started to think about the woman for selling cars well before 1949 I thought.  And women were certainly not helpless, unless auto mfgs simply did not want them to ever look under the hood of what really took them to where they were going. Some women did not always have a man around to lift the hood!! Brought up a whole different subject of course, but only wish to know how a man mainly me, can open this monster hood first of all and then retain it in the open position.  Buick engineers after creating a very nice auto, forgot about some of the essentials, such as getting into the engine compartment which drove the automobile. Your Comments.  All are welcome. There is NO WAY a woman could ever add a quart of oil to this automobile!!!  What say you??

All replies welcome. Thanks/Lee

The engineers couldn't think of everything at one time. Yes its heavy and sometimes awkward but it is also well thaught out in many ways. If you think about it always try and flip your prop toward the passenger side of the car. This is where most of what you need to access happens to be (oil level indicator, battery, oil fill cap). As for the release, both latches should release when you pull the handle. Sometimes the front of my hood does not pop up from the latch but still releases. You can try to clean and adjust your cables and latches if need be. The best feature about your hood has to be that you can remove the entire thing by releasing both sides for complete access to the engine compartment. (Two person operation). 

• Like 1

I agree with Joel and will add that when the latches are working properly, the hood will lift and disengage from both the rear and front latch when pulled and released from inside the car.  You then can walk around to the hood slide your fingers in the opening and lift the hood.  I am sure the engineers never imagined a woman servicing the car as the gas station attendants did that for you up until the oil embargo in 1970's. 

If the latches are not working like they should (the front ones like to stick), I stand outside the car, reach in the open door or window, pull the cable release, then insert the skinny end of a long transmission oil funnel into the gap, then release the cable.  The funnel will hold the hood open while you walk around the door and open the hood.  A piece of wood trim works to prop it open as does a long screw driver with a wooden handle.  It does take some strength and long arms help a lot!

It takes some strength for sure but I worry more about the rod that props up the hood failing while you're leaning over checking something. I wonder if anyone ever experienced such a mishap. Death by guillotine is not a pleasant thought. 

• 8 months later...