Standard brake light switch - 58 Buick

highcking

My Buick's master cylinder came with a threaded steel plug where the brake light switch installs. I forgot to install the switch before I installed the master cylinder so I had to do it with fluid in the cylinder. I purchased a “Standard” brand in the box from an eBay vendor. I followed some online advice to prevent air getting into the system and this worked like a charm. I filled the switch with brake fluid, wrapped the threads in Teflon, and did the quick swap. A very small amount of fluid dripped into the shop rag.

Now I come to my question. I was wearing rubber gloves and quickly turned the switch in with my fingers. After a few seconds of turning (maybe 3-4 full turns, I didn’t count) I suddenly realized the switch housing was turning but not the threaded piece. I stopped immediately, cleaned up the dripped fluid and ran a few tests. It’s not leaking even after depressing the brake pedal (engine off) 10 or so times. The switch itself works just as it should.

I haven’t done one of these switches in a long time. Opinions on what happened? Defective switch from China? I can’t locate any specific directions on how to actually install the switch. Thoughts welcome. Note that the picture is generic - ignore the numbers.

Bill in Virginia

6245C902-47F1-4EED-9586-DD0EF49A966A.jpeg

I don't know. I think I have seen those loose before. I don't really think they are supposed to be. The old ones weren't loose. Generally speaking, the quality of Standard these days is downright embarrassing. Oh how the mighty have fallen. There is a bright side though. I bought one of those Standard switches about like yours and it worked fine, and has been working fine for 4 years or so. Also, it had a suffix on the part number when compared with the old part number (maybe an "L"?) that means it comes on with less pressure than the old ones did. That is always a good thing. I would clean it up real good and keep an eye on it, and if it's not leaking and the brake lights are working I would run it.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There are some recent good posts on using different switches that activate the lights on with less pressure. One mentioned was from Harley-Davidson and another brand. Worth looking at those if swapping it out.

just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1