For Sale: 1962 Mercury Monterey 2dr Sedan, 292 V8, manual shift - $15,500 - Minneapolis, MN - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $14,500: 7-18-2022: - Still Available, Price Still: $14,500: 5-25-2023:

For Sale: 1962 Mercury Monterey 2dr Sedan, 292 V8, manual shift - $15,500 - Minneapolis, MN - Still Available, Price Reduced to $14,500: 7-18-2022:

Still Available, Price Still: $14,500: 5-25-2023:  See New Link Below:

1962 Mercury Monterey - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1962 Mercury Monterey with a rebuilt 292 V8, newer clutch, rebuilt carburetor, very good interior and new radial whitewall tires. See photos for more details. Rare model of only 5,117 produced by Ford Motor Company
Include your telephone number for a reply.  If you are reading this posting, the car is for sale. Not interested in trades or other help in selling. Same owner for 30 years. $15,500. Thank you.
Copy and paste in your email: c7e197dc932332dbad9e35962f4d43fc@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1962 Mercury Monterey 2dr Sedan.

Note:  The only options the original buyer specified were the 292 ci V8, optional for Monterey, and the two-tone paint ($22).  The 223 ci six-cylinder the base engine.  This Monterey has manual brakes and steering, dog-dish hubcaps, no radio, no clock but whitewalls which might be a recent addition.   The seller's checklist has good information for a potential buyer.

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn a.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn b.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn c.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn d.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn e.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn f.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn g.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn h.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn i.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn j.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn k.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn l.jpg

'62 Mercury Monterey 2dr sdn Mn m.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still Available, Price Still: $14,500: 5-25-2023: Crossed out the dead CL link, (see edit history)
  • Like 4

One should make sure it didn't have a history of rust,

since it is at least currently in Minnesota.

However, it appears very nice.  Those taillights are

noteworthy in themselves, and the paint color is a

bit unusual too.  Cars out of the ordinary tend to

catch my eye, and thank you for sharing this find, Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

One should make sure it didn't have a history of rust,

since it is at least currently in Minnesota.

However, it appears very nice.  Those taillights are

noteworthy in themselves, and the paint color is a

bit unusual too.  Cars out of the ordinary tend to

catch my eye, and thank you for sharing this find, Steve.

John;

Good advice to inspect for rust, Minnesota cars suffer as badly as those here in the Northeast.  Out-of-the-ordinary is much more interesting than the usual cruise night, another-humdrum-one-of-the-two-dozen-in-attendance.  These once ubiquitous, now scarce everyday cars are much more interesting when encountered.

Appears as if the original buyer acted on this Mercury dealer promotion: $55.95/month for the quality and prestige of a Mercury Monterey!

Steve

'62 Mercury dealer ad.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Good advice to inspect for rust, Minnesota cars suffer as badly as those here in the Northeast. 

A friend, an expert professional restorer, told me that

1962 Fords are particularly prone to rust.  That caution

may extend to the 1962 Mercuries--I don't know.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

A friend, an expert professional restorer, told me that

1962 Fords are particularly prone to rust.  That caution

may extend to the 1962 Mercuries--I don't know.

John,

Other than the styling details, there is hardly a dime's worth of difference between the 1961-'62 Fords and Mercuries.  Both experience the same problems.  Well, with the Mercury, one received one-inch greater wheelbase and four more inches plus of rear overhang...

Steve

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Mercury Monterey 2dr Sedan, 292 V8, manual shift - $15,500 - Minneapolis, MN - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $14,500: 7-18-2022:
  • 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Mercury Monterey 2dr Sedan, 292 V8, manual shift - $15,500 - Minneapolis, MN - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $14,500: 7-18-2022: - Still Available, Price Still: $14,500: 5-25-2023:

I'm generally not big on red cars, not my personality type, but this one with its white roof and window frame dressup mouldings has caught my eye as well. It's a pretty bare-bones car for a Mercury, competing against Oldsmobiles and Dodges which by that time were generally optioned-up with at least automatic transmissions and power steering and brakes.

But I like this car. The bare-bones may be part of its appeal. That and its Space Age styling. I would add a set of 62 Mercury full wheelcovers just to break up the red and take it upscale where a Mercury belongs.