Junkyard Assist Info Please

TedG

Found a junkyard donor car for the belt-line stainless trim part atop of the driver's door window. Going to remove it this coming weekend but would appreciate an assist from anyone knowing the proper method for removal. Both procedure and necessary tools to bring. The car is a 1967 Buick Riviera. Much Appreciated!!

Ted

There are some variables that can make it simple or complicated depending. The trim is held on with small flathead phillips screws. One at each end and possibly a couple more in mid section. Can't remember. They are mostly obscured by the fuzzy strip (if its still there) so you have to look close. If the door panel is still on, that will need removed of course.

You may need to drop the lower stop for the door glass to get it low enough to access the screws. A regular phillips screw driver and a 1/4" or 3/8 socket set, a good LED magnetic flash light, and if power window a 12 volt power source. If a power window and the window is up but you can't get motor to operate, you will need to remove the glass or disconnect the assembly from the driver mechanism which can be a real pain. The driver rack gear is under spring tension so be careful if you have to disconnect the linkage. Most the tension is relieved with window up but there is still some present.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Good information! Thank you so much. Some anxiety about the window under tension being electric but will make an attempt anyway. No way the window will function with power because the junked car has been in the yard forever. It has a layer of green moss growing on it! Should be a fun visit because the lot closed over thirty five years ago. About two hundred 50's and 60's vehicles on site. How cool is that?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Success removing the junkyard part. Far more difficult then imagined. The donor was an electric window car and found no means to roll it down to better access the removal of the drivers side belt-line stainless part. First removed door panel and all of the nuts and bolts visible in hopes the window could be forced down. No success so instead concentrated on pulling the window up and out of the door. The window glass itself has three holes bored in it to secure it to the track. Difficult to remove them because the bolts are not visible. The trim piece itself had three screws and one holding it down. All rusted requiring a drill to remove. Necessary once free, to pry the part from the window ledge. The car had set in the yard for over thirty years and the trim piece was green with moss and tarnished. Happy to report it cleaned up as new. Certainly worth the effort! Took a little over two hours in total. 

• Like 4

Glad you persevered and got it.

Amazing sometimes how things will work on junk cars after decades. Always worth a try. The car pictured below was pulled out of the hollers of WV and turned out to be the most amazing junker and supply of parts I ever got. I was able to get it running and drive around the house before parting. The front PWs actually worked!  

It had the coolest artwork of moss and algea growing on it.

car 003.jpg

car 005.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, telriv said:

Sometimes with just a wash it's amazing what's under all that just from decades of amassing moss, mold, mildew, etc.

Tom T.

LOl  I couldn't resist and washed it with a brillo pad. 

P1010001 (2).JPG

• Like 5

Ironically the JY car I pulled the part from was identical to your photo. Including the green moss growth and color. Outside it appeared as complete but the interior was completely trashed. Hopefully someone can rescue the body parts and glass before it's ultimate demise. 

On 6/21/2022 at 5:27 AM, TedG said:

I will post the junkyard photos after the visit. It's located in LaSalle, Illinois. 

TedG what is the name of the Junkyard in LaSalle, IL.  it is about 1 hour 20 minutes from me, I was trying to help Edwin The Kid get parts for his 1965 Skylark.

Bob