Turning radius, RH vs LH

WPVT

I just noticed in the specifications for my 1929 White truck that the RH turning radius is considerably smaller than the LH turning radius. I wasn't aware of this aspect of auto engineering.  It now makes sense to me when I consider most of the turns a truck is required to make on roads in right hand driving countries .

Is this true of all RH drive vehicles then and now ?

hmmm... curious to hear some answers. Most 30's era steering boxes for cars are set up so that worm gear in box is dead center with sector gear in straight ahead position, and there are equal rotations of steering wheel in both directions lock to lock. So I would assume turning radius would be same for left or right. But, what do I know! Trucks may be different setup.

• Haha 1

While I've ran into this peculiarity on more than one (LH drive) pre-war car and after confirming everything else being aligned, correct and/or undamaged, I've never researched/studied its root cause. 

Can't recall if all were same, as in RH turn smaller than LH, or other way around.

Never seen it in post-war cars.

🤔

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Mike said "When turning to the left the tire hits the drag link". Most late 20's/30's era steering linkages I've seen had a stop on the axle on both sides (referred to as lock to lock) which the steering arm on both sides came up against when at full turn, (and before steering box was at it's limit) preventing the wheel from striking the drag link (which would not be good). Many drag links had a specific built in curvature to prevent wheel contact. So I'm not sure Mike what you may have encountered, perhaps over-sized tires/wheels, or incorrect drag link. In designing these very simple systems i cannot imagine why any company would allow wheel/drag link interference.