29 Cadillac rear wire wheel bearing replacement

We have a 29 Cadillac with wire wheels and had an  oil leak in the rear brake drum. Upon disassembly it was found that the bearings and races are not in good shape. I can remove the race from the axle side of the drum, but it looks like you have to pull the hub apart to get to the outboard race. Has anybody done this and if so, how did you get the hub apart. there is nothing in the service sheets or owners manual that covers this process.. look forward to your reply's.

Harold III

Seattle

While you are in there…….understand that the rear wheel bearing seal is internal to the pumpkin and the seals are made of leather. So the failure is not at or near the wheel bearing, and you need to convert the internal seals from leather to rubber……..Chicago Rawhide had a seal that would work back in the 80’s. It’s probably still available.

Yes……seal can easily be removed with the cover off………they are held in by a snap ring. I have only done 1930 & 1931 rear ends, but I’m fairly certain they are similar. If you have grease on the brakes it’s usually caused by seal failure, unless someone pumped the bearings full five times over. If your working in a tight garage,be careful as you need about four and a half feet to get it apart on each side……….learned that the hard way forty years ago!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)