1905 Cadillac, not mine. A winner judged by you.

This car got me thinking. Is the restoration on a car ever old enough to create a desirable original patina? Or is it just a old restoration? I know it is only original once. But even the restoration is now pushing 60 years old. Does a 1905 Cadillac get a second chance at a wonderful original patina. If judged first place. And shows it’s age. Any added value for the age of the restoration?

• Like 1

It isn't likely with a 60's restoration, if only because it is extremely unlikely that the original method of painting it was used. Originally, it was brush painted and varnished...."coach painting" is the term used. The surface was fragile and very rarely survives in anything but fragments. I'll bet that car was sprayed with lacquer, which wasn't even invented in 1905. For that matter, spray painting cars only began in the 1920s.

That said, high end cars — which the Cadillac wasn't at the time — were often painted every year or two to keep them looking fresh, at least until they were too old fashioned to be used regularly. Thus, when you see a brass era or early nickel era car with what purports to be original paint it's probably impossible to tell if it really is or if it was repainted during it's period of active use.  Realistically, I don't see why that would matter.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Here are the pictures and information to preserve the details of the subject car:

1905 Cadillac runabout
$55,000
Listed 5 weeks ago in Irvine, CA
Hello everyone I have a 1905 Cadillac. I believe it’s a runabout. Restored in 1968, 95% original as far as original equipment is concerned. It had the back of the seats fixed up. The car is Located in SoCal. It’s being listed at $46,000 OBO

May be an image of outdoors
May be an image of car and outdoors  May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of 1 person and outdoors

No photo description available.

No photo description available.  May be an image of text that says 'NATIONAL ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE FIRST CLUB PRIZE FOUNDED OF DURYEA FOUNDED AMERICA NOV.1933 WINNER 64'

May be an image of text that says 'RESTORATION BY BISHOP'

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)