Double windlace installation on 1937 Studebaker

SMB

Any place to find information on how to install the double windlace found on 1930's Studebakers.   My upholstery guy obviously did not know how.

Correct installation is pictured.

Screenshot_2019-12-24 050 JPG da3233fe2c8a411bf6240e1a6bad1a74 JPG (JPEG Image, 1000 × 750 pixels) - Scaled (82%).png

I blew that small picture up as big as I could, and I do not see double windlace.

The double windlace look is usually a combination of windlace and wire-on. For instance, a headliner might tack down to some wood at an edge. A piece of windlace tacks down to the same piece of wood. . That leaves a row of exposed tacks between the two. A piece of wire-on tacks on top of that spot, and once folded over on top of itself, looks like a second row of windlace. Restoration Specialties of Windber, PA used to have matching wire-on and windlace in their catalog. I have not tried lately.

EDIT: look here. The wire-on and windalce example in the thread looks more like a triple bead or something, but just imagine the big part of the wire-on a little fatter as it often is and you will see. The thread also shows Hidem, which is not the same thing.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

I agree with Bloo, that's a windlace/ wireon combo. The wireon goes on last over the seams. Restoration Specialties is now making their own wireon and windlacing in various in the older style fabric. They have a very nice camel color available. The new wireon does not fit or look exactly like the original but it's very close.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 8:29 AM, jpage said:

I agree with Bloo, that's a windlace/ wireon combo. The wireon goes on last over the seams. Restoration Specialties is now making their own wireon and windlacing in various in the older style fabric. They have a very nice camel color available. The new wireon does not fit or look exactly like the original but it's very close.

Is Restorationspecialties making the windlace or is SMS making it for them?  It’s my understanding that SMS is the only one making it these days and I ordered quite a few yards recently in two different sizes which they got wrong. When I contacted SMS, they said to send the wrong windlace back, they would disassemble it, then resew it back to the correct size. I had already waited three months and asked why couldn’t they simply make me up the proper size immediately. Their reply was that they are the only one making it, there are lots of orders, and that they only have one person making it, who is out right now! So I had to ship it back, wait for it to arrive, and now wait for someone to disassemble/assemble it in the correct size. The whole time the cars restoration is on hold because someone, after calling and explaining the two sizes I needed in four separate calls, couldn’t follow directions making up the proper sizes. Now I and the customer have to suffer for a company’s incompetence. Of course, no apology or refunds either. I also had to ask for a return shipping label as it wasn’t offered initially!

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 1

That I don't know. I thought it was generic. There is a generic type of cloth windlace that has been available for decades, and every upholstery and trim shop has or had a sample card of it. I installed a bunch of it in the early 80s. When I last looked at their catalog, Restoration Specialties had that generic type, and also another type with a slightly different weave that I believed was also generic. The second type was more believable for prewar applications in my opinion. The matching wire-on they listed matched the second type of windlace.

If Restoration Specialties is making their own, or if it is all being made to order at SMS rather than being cut off of a huge generic roll somewhere, that certainly introduces a whole new wrinkle. I wish I knew the answer.

Jeff. the current owner of Restoration Specialties managed to get his hands on some machines a couple of years ago. They are up and running and actually make some, not all, of the windlace and I think they can make the wire-on too, but not certain of that. They can now make the older style material that was being discontinued by most manufacturers. I think they still buy the actual material from another supplier. He's been able to add some new colors. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask about it. I used to work there so, I get up there often. They are the ones who make the cloth covered rubber door seal for the Mopar cars. They also make a good bit of the extruded foam seals and window sweeps and distribute them to other suppliers. Windlace and wire-on was a large portion of their business! Jeff will send free samples if you ask.

• Like 1

That’s good to know about restorations specialties if they in fact making windlace. I ordered the two color, brown and dark brown check type cloth used in the 30’s Chevys. ( not sure why my post came out in the bold black print?🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1