1983 Riviera Pace Car questions

tbenvie

I am researching the various indy 500 Pace Cars for an upcoming book and have some more questions on the 1983 Riviera. 

Buick made three two tone Rivieras for the track. Two had the twin turbo and were the actual pace Car and back up. There was a camera hole in the right taillight for an on board camera. The third was actually an 82 that was converted to be used as a photo car-it did not have the twin turbo engine nor the camera hole but otherwise looked identical.  This one was at Briggs Buick in Kansas about 2010 but it may have been sold-anyone know where it is now?  Of the other two, one is in the Sloan Museum. I do not know what happened to the other. Race winner Tom Sneva got a Riviera, but not the pace car (and he still owns it). So where is the other car? I have read Jay Leno bought it, but have not found one shred of evidence if this is true or not. 

Buick made 500 Riviera XX two tone replicas for sale to the public (plus the two track cars, so 502). I have VINs for about 125 of them and it appears they were made in batches with consecutive VINs, Thirty of these cars were sold in Canada.

Buick/GM also supplied 300 vehicles to the track. About 150 were cars, with just over 60 Rivieras. the 500 Festival Directors and USAC and Track Officials received white with maroon interior Rivieras with red "official car" lettering on the side. There was an assignment list generated (each year) of the various cars make model and color, VIN, to whom they were assigned, and the track assigned number. Does anyone have any copies of this list? I will pay a fair price. I have found 6 of these car still in existence, but like most years the decals were removed before selling them so there may be many more. Most years the cars from the track are auctioned o the local zone dealers for sale, but in 1983 Buick had a large "yard sale" at the track and invited the public for a four day sale. Besides the Riviera convert, there were Skyhawks, Skylarks, and Century T-Types. Is there any proof any Riviera XX models were also at the track? Any photos of the other car models from the track? They would often have a windshield banner and Indy logos on the sides. 

Lastly, 1983 was the last year the Pace Car had flags on the back, replaced by the lights (which came out in 82). There were not many pictures of the car with flags, which were mounted in holes drilled into the bumper at the bumper guard area. The photo car appears not to have these flag holes. For the race there is a yellow and a green flag-the yellow one has an imprint of some sort on it-anyone know what it is?  

Anyone have any VINs of the Pace Cars, photo car, festival cars, Riviera XXs? Any other info that may be useful?  Looking for something that can be backed up as fact, not just rumors.  thanks so much

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 11.16.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 11.37.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 11.39.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 10.05.14 PM.png

The museum at the Speedway has just about zero info on the various Pace cars. the book actually came about as a result of a few of us trying to gather as much information as possible to give to the museum. Looking for the assignment sheets, VINs, documentation, etc for all years. We have completed a little more than half thus far. We have just about all the info to include all the Replica and Festival assignment VINs from 1990 on with the exception of a few years. Missing a lot of the 80s but do have 84, 86, and 88. Need the others, as well as 72, 76-79. Any help is appreciated

Nice pictures from the track!

I would suggest to go to- Riviera Owners website: https://www.rivowners.org/ Then go to the link for the 1983 Pace Cars: http://www.buickrivieraconvertible.com/pacecar.php 

You may find what you seek there, lots of good information.