Heat riser spring for a 49 pontiac straight 8

Dieselfumes

Hello.

I have a 49 pontiac streamliner with a straight 8. I am looking for a new heat riser spring and so far I only have been able to find ones for chevys. Does anyone know where I can locate one or do you know if they are pretty much inner changable. 

Thanks in advance..

Photo Editor20220507_160441.jpg

Photo Editor20220507_160924.jpg

• Like 2

FIrst I would check with @Kornkurt here on the forum, then California Pontiac Restoration, sales@pontiacparts.net or 714-245-9800, and if is truly not available, I would try something from another car, like maybe a Buick straight eight (bobsautomobilia.com) or an old inline 6 Chevrolet (fillingstation.com). 

Make sure it is on so that the spring pushes the weight to the top, if not flip the spring. You also have 2 ways it can fit in the slot. I'd shoot for something like about 3/4 turn to hook it, and if that doesn't work out, either rotate the spring 180 degrees, or if the spring has too many coils maybe try a whole extra turn.  If you can get it so that it is good and closed (weight up) cold, or looser but well closed at room temp with a cold engine, but open (weight down) when the engine is fully warmed up with the coolant temperature up to normal, it should be fine.

• Like 1