I am in the UK and looking for help regarding a Buick engine....

Jerryjal

Hi all, good to be here.
I do not know if I am in the right place but here goes anyway...
We have recently imported my late father in laws 1974 TVR 2500M from the USA to the UK, we are in the process of going through the car to make sure it is roadworthy. You may ask why I am mentioning this on a Buick forum, well here goes.
It turns out that the engine my Father in Law installed in to the TVR is a 1977 Buick 231 "C" Odd Fire, as part of the required registration documents in the UK I need to find the engine serial number and for the life of me I can't see it.
Do any of you fine folk either know where it will be located or are able to point me in the right direction.
Thank you so much in advance!
I have attached a picture for reference.

Engine Installation 6.JPG

Are you looking for the "Machining number" or the VIN from the donor vehicle, which can be stamped on the block, too?

Might need to get into a GM/Buick parts book printed near the time the engine was put in the car to get these stamp numbers and find where they are on the block.  Should be some Internet source with that information, too?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 2

I believe that's it. Looks like it may have originally been installed in a 1977 Oldsmobile Starfire. The Buick 231 was standard engine in that car.

3= Oldsmobile

7= 1977

2= built in St Therese, Quebec CA (H-body assembly plant)

500398= car's sequential VIN

That T5 may have come attached to that engine as it was available for Starfire. Buick Skyhawk and Pontiac Sunbird could also have that engine and transmission combination and were also built in St Therese.

What does that TVR weigh? I'm guessing 2000lb or less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1