For Sale: 1952 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight - "Excellent condition" - Abilene, TX - Not Mine

For sale on Craigslist: 1952 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight 4-door Sedan in Abilene, TX  -  $17,500  -  No phone # provided.  Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to: 1a0012bccd08372f999c807e3c950a45@sale.craigslist.org

Link: https://abilene.craigslist.org/cto/d/hawley-1952-olds-ninety-eight/7477609795.html

Seller's Description: 

1952 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight 4-door Sedan

• condition: excellent
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 38,000
  • paint color: blue
  • title status: clean

1952 olds 98 sedan, 38k miles beautiful interior and exterior it runs and drives, 303 v8 rocket with a 4 speed hydramatic transmission, everything works price is $17,500 obo thank you.

image.png.ad8fc97c4950f1f875522f81f2ebb989.png

image.png.e756c374603dbb3eb1188342e6eb30a7.png

image.png.b8363031a572c154ea88b790104d5790.png

image.png.757d1c6f5e6e2c56ca6f916710f43663.png

image.png.89cebd41cf7ff308dc1f52a69cc995b6.png

Nice looking car except for under the hood......it says everything works (even the Autronic Eye?) but 1952s were originally 6 volt systems. Frayed wiring,  repaired radiator overflow tube, the top of the air cleaner is missing, incorrect fuel pump, horn relay, and battery hold down. RH inside sunvisor is gone too. Just for the record, hood ornament in trunk is not for a 1952. Price seems optimistic IMO even if all the mechanicals check out. 

• Like 5

Clearly not enough details but at least the seller provided a bunch of photos.  Under hood can be spruced up.  The alternator does cause me curiosity, especially with the original wiring and no explanation.  

Price "may be" high but it is the longer wheelbase 98 top of the Olds line.  That would be a very early autronic eye and I could care less if it works or not.  

There are no other "options" that I can see.  Did 1952 GM's offer PS, PB?  I thought 1953 was first year for both of those.   Manual windows.  

No need to paint, so that saves $15,000.  No one is restoring a 1952 GM four door though, so that point might be moot.  Interior is cool looking and again, to do this interior would be $12,000 or so.  

That is why I say "maybe" $17,500 is in the ball park.  On the other hand, who do you know, I mean really know, that would extract $17,500 from their long term savings and buy this car?   

I'll bet if we could be an unseen bystander this car sells for much lower in a few months, but here it will drop off, maybe show sold one day and we will never know the actual exchange price ("mind your own business")  

Then an actual pristine one, or a restored one will cross the blocks at some Mecum auction for $32,000 and there goes the price guides!  

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

On the other hand, who do you know, I mean really know, that would extract $17,500 from their long term savings and buy this car?   

Forgot “values” this is the real question in any deal.  It might be “worth it” but does it make you fork over the cash?

I like the car, but it’s too far away and the alternator implies needless modifications so what else is lurking? 

Hint to seller: Never clean or polish old coins before trying to sell them, it always lowers the value.  Same with cars. Your “repairs” can seriously affect either the value or time on the market. 

The wide white spare on the ground? Could that be the original??

Probably no one out there actively looking for a blue 1952 Olds 98 four door sedan in any condition,  so you are fighting for 17,500 with alot of other cars.  That's where the problem lies. That Lincoln 2 door hardtop was a nicer car in a nicer body style for the same or less money I think.  I say it's a 10 G car tops on the right day to the right guy and he's going to be hard to find.  Originality only goes so far,  Body style still rules out to most buyers. 

• Like 3

I have to question how well the mechanicals were addressed on a $17.5K car when the battery is held down with a piece of wood.  Seller says "everything works" but there's a 12 volt battery in place on a car that came from the factory with a 6 volt system and apparently with the ignition switch on & the engine running (see pic of steering wheel) and the oil pressure appearing normal the temp gauge is pegged past H and the fuel gauge is pegged below E. Some things need to be sorted out here. BTW Olds first offered PS in 1952 and PB in 1953. Just my opinion but I always thought 1951-1952 were not the most collectible years for Oldsmobiles in general and 88 series cars might be more popular than 98s. 

• Like 2