1928 Master - shock absorber strap lenght?

pepcak

Hi

could anybody measure strap lenght an front and rear shock absorbers,  preferably on original car? Also, is there any source for the (original looking) strap itself, seems the original is a lot thicker than straps offered today....

Thanks in advance,

Josef

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I do not own a 1928 to measure but I can provide some advice.  I emailed you how I rebuilt my snubbers.   A link to that information is also below.  They no longer make my strapping.  I had to sew a double thickness of cotton webbing together to get the thickness of the original strapping.  I also replaced the brass strips as the original brass is inferior and fatigues and cracks.  Someone on the forum may have original webbing, but you would have to tell us the thickness and width.    Hugh

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/353101-gabriel-snubbers-rebuilding-installation-mid-20s-buick/#comment-2128193

• 3 weeks later...

HI Grant

many thanks for taking these measurements, that helps. One more question / can you take a pic of the drag link of your 28 Master (that rod parallel with chassis rail) ?  Mine is a simple straight piece, but I suspect it has been shortened in the past as it should have a "bump" to allow space for (left) wheel turned  left.

Thank you,

Josef

I believe the shock absorber belting is called “transmission belting”.

It is used to connect a tractor’s power take-off to a farm implement, several feet away. 

Try at a farm implement / tractor supply outlet. 

I also think that Bob’s Automobile may also sell it cut to length. 

Bill McLaughlin 

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Newsletter

1929 Mclaughlin Buick Roadster

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

thanks for pics, that confirms my drag link is likely not correct and I may see an issue when trying to turn left with it.

I have run another thread as it turned out I actually need more items for front axle, drag link, king pin cap and bracket for ball joint of front brake control.

Any ideas or leads are highly appreaciated.

Josef

Josef