Does anyone have a 1928 FB PRESIDENT besides me?

Sure, I’ll join again. I was a member for a while. I was originally excited to join knowing that there were owners of antique cars such as mine that could answer the questions I had and still have while restoring it to original condition. Didn’t work out that way, just like my forum query on original fender welt for my ‘28 from last week.

But I’m really getting deep into the restoration now so I’ll join again. She’s basically brand new mechanically with new correct wiring. Every single chrome or nickel piece has been re-plated. It’s been apart so long (11 years) that I gotta figure out what bolts/washers/nuts go where.

:)

There are many types of welt,   The parts book calls it all 'welt' .    The front fenders have a jute like strip material between the frame and the fenders, and I think some cars had some welt type stuff that sticks out between the body and fender joints. and had a round bead.  (similar to late 1940's cars )   I am looking into the same questions for a 32 Commander..    I know of an FB  ,  un-restored 28 or 29 and I can contact the owner.

I recently parted out a 28 Dictator and it had a thick jute pad  ( over 1/4 inch )  between the engine  and frame, side pans, and the whole length of the fenders that contact the frame....

Dale, I considered responding to your question about the fender welt but, my personal experience is only with my '33 Rockne, and there is only welt between the body and the rear fenders; none at the front. Thing is, that may not apply to the much higher model from five years prior, so it's basically useless information.

There was some discussion somewhere on thsi forum not too long ago about survival rates of late 1920s/early 1930s cars and it seem that there are plenty of 'low price' cars out there - Chevs and Fords etc. The are also quite a few of the high price cars left. Edinmass reckoned there are maybe 2500 Pierce-Arrows of all ages left. The area where the survival rates are low is in the mid price range - say where the original price was $1,000 to $2,500. Add to that there were many makes and models in that price range and many became orphans and not considered worthy of preservation. I have become aware of this since buying my 1929 Studebaker GE cabriolet which appears to one of only two (at least counting restored examples) in the world out of production run of several hundred. The production figures for Studes of that era have not survived so the exact number is not known. 

The point I am making here is that there are probably not that many FB Presidents left - the later FH and FE models are more 'collectible' - and then the chances of finding the owner of one who is on this forum is not that great. The cars are out there but finding one which has not been messed with won't be easy.