1928 chrysler 72 convertible coupe

31 LaSalle

i have a 1928 Chrysler convertible coup which i am trying to get running.

my question is what type/grade of oil do i need to use.

there is no oil filter on this car i do not know if it should have one.

should i try fitting a remote modern spin on filter any help appreciated

thanks. johnFGKglE50uV94bgnBaR3rCjQWp93lckTq3UUQD3vB.jpg.08ab28c8300e6f610765928066e3988b.jpg

Yep should have oil filter you could try fitting a modern by-pass filter I have done so on my 75 series just to get it running. I can get some pics tomorrow but I’m sure someone will have chimed in by then with more info. As far as oil goes I’m sure you will get many different opinions I personally like Penrite shelsley medium or light depending on

how healthy the engine is. 
the original oil filter was mounted on the fire wall next to the brake reservoir. 

• Thanks 1

Mine has a Fram PB1/2 filter on the firewall, you see new old stock come up for sale on eBay or find a remote filter housing that takes a disposable filter inside. I was looking at a ww2 jeep one https://www.ebay.com/itm/114400376383 that looks about the right size but others may know a better option.

re Oil, Comma (in the UK) do a straight mineral 30 oil with no detergent. I would probably only use this if the engine is an unknown condition and may be full of sludge. If it’s been reconditioned I would use the shelsey light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is my solution for my 29 Dodge Bros truck. Far from being original but it is road worthy.

check this site out:

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/vehicle/46-49-cj-2a/engine/oil-hoses-filters-parts/fram-style-oil-filter-canister-assembly-kit-fits-46-66-cj-2a-3a-3b-5

AD945329-864C-4CB6-B5E4-BFB044F3226E.jpeg.e3b3780fc29cad684c8c3afc8c28fe3c.jpeg

Sorry you will have to rotate your monitor.

Edited by stakeside
EE (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can use oil filter canisters from many Chrysler cars from 1940/50s (Ply/Chry/Dod/DeS), as they will fit well for your needs. Anyway, for 1920s cars, depending on how frequent you ride them, I still think the best approach for clean oil is to replace it at least once a year.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 11:48 PM, JRA said:

You can use oil filter canisters from many Chrysler cars from 1940/50s (Ply/Chry/Dod/DeS), as they will fit well for your needs. Anyway, for 1920s cars, depending on how frequent you ride them, I still think the best approach for clean oil is to replace it at least once a year.

I, too, on my 2007 Chrysler Aspen, change the oil and filter not by mileage, but by time. I too believe that is the right approach. Well no problems so far. By the way for me the best oil filter for 5.7 Hemi is K&N. It filters great and lasts a long time. 😉

• Thanks 1