1930 Steering Wheel

Erndog

Before I attempt to remove the steering wheel from my 30-61, I would like to solicit advice/instructions on exactly how to proceed, and/or any warnings or experiences. I have seen several topics about steering wheel issues, but not the actual removal from the column, etc. The books don't really address it very well, either, from what I've seen.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Pictures would be helpfull.I recently removed mine from my 35 40 series and it wasn't too difficult.After I gained access to the large nut securing the wheel I loosened it but left in on enough as to not damage the threads and used a large hammer and brass punch on the shaft while keeping pressure on the back of the wheel with my legs until it moved.My horn button had to first be removed by twisting it counterclockwise while pushing it down along with the wire that's at the bottom of the steering colom.Greg.

Edited by Buick35
Speeling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

Pictures would be helpfull.I recently removed mine from my 35 40 series and it wasn't too difficult.After I gained access to the large nut securing the wheel I loosened it but left in on enough as to not damage the threads and used a large hammer and brass punch on the shaft while keeping pressure on the back of the wheel with my legs until it moved.My horn button had to first be removed by twisting it counterclockwise while pushing it down along with the wire that's at the bottom of the steering colom.Greg.

Thanks. Yes, pictures would be awesome. I tried the pushing the horn button and turning thing, but doesn't seem to do anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok. I got the column completely apart. Needless to say, the gears at the bottom, being very old pot metal, all broke. Fortunately, I have purchased a new set from Bob. As I was removing the steering wheel levers I noticed two loose springs, obviously for use with detents. I don't see any detent balls laying around, but I did find two little pencil eraser looking things. Are those the detents they used? Since there are no detent positions and the levers need a little friction to hold them in position, I think these are the parts that go with those springs.

20220908_133251.jpg.7a4e6c32d7956ac1ddc740ad7adc46ee.jpg

Edited by Erndog (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Erndog said:

Ok. I got the column completely apart. Needless to say, the gears at the bottom, being very old pot metal, all broke. Fortunately, I have purchased a new set from Bob. As I was removing the steering wheel levers I noticed two loose springs, obviously for use with detents. I don't see any detent balls laying around, but I did find two little pencil eraser looking things. Are those the detents they used? Since there are no detent positions and the levers need a little friction to hold them in position, I think these are the parts that go with those springs.

20220908_133251.jpg.7a4e6c32d7956ac1ddc740ad7adc46ee.jpg

You are correct.

The springs drop into the holes on the throttle and advance/retard levers and the stoppers sit on top. When assembled the springs pushing on the stoppers supply friction against the hub base and keeps the levers at the desired position. In the case of the throttle an early cruise control ( if your game!! ). 

On 9/8/2022 at 8:14 PM, 50jetback said:

You are correct.

The springs drop into the holes on the throttle and advance/retard levers and the stoppers sit on top. When assembled the springs pushing on the stoppers supply friction against the hub base and keeps the levers at the desired position. In the case of the throttle an early cruise control ( if your game!! ). 

I am. I use them all of the time on tours.  I rarely use the gas pedal when driving in the country side.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I am finally starting to put my steering column back together. Buying and selling a house has interfered. Haven't done the move yet, so still sporadic progress.

I have a major problem. It seems that I have somehow managed to misplace/lose the bolt and standoff stud that attach the bottom spark and throttle gear bracket to the sector housing. The bolt is no huge deal, but the standoff stud is, as it sets the proper distance from the base to the headlight switch unit. If anyone has one of these for a 1930 60 series I will be forever indebted. If not, could someone give me the measurements and size for it, please? If so, I may be able to find a match or have one made.

Thanks!