Model A Blind Back Sedan $4,500 FB WI

I don't know if anyone restores Model A s that are this needy, but it's a desirable model. Blind back sedans are sort of like close coupled sedans in that the rear quarter windows are missing. Some of us find it a classy look -- even on a Ford. 

Marketplace - 1929 Ford A | Facebook

No photo description available.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I have never really been into model As myself, but over the years had many friends that were. I have picked up a bit of knowledge over the years. I don't know just how many versions of "blind back" sedans were produced, but it was about a half dozen significant variations at least! A good friend completely re-wooded an original leather back some years ago. He told me some of this. There were some changes to the body between 1928 and 1929 that made the cars different. The leatherback I think was the higher end, but a different imitation material top was also offered. Along with the steel back, and if I recall correctly, at least one 1930 variation?

Survival rate was fairly low, on top of not a big seller to begin with.

I have known of a few of these cars over the years, usually beautiful restorations. However, in the past couple years, there seem to a bunch of these crawling out of the woodwork? I suspect that they were so unusual and desirable for so many years, that a lot of them were grabbed up cheap in poor condition and kept in hopes of restoring the special model A someday. As the years passed by, the dream faded, and now all of a sudden a bunch of half messed up blind back sedans are hitting the market. The leather back and fabric back sedans were prone to top leaks and resultant wood rot. One I found online a few months back, someone had tried to replace the failed top wood with fiberglass? What a mess.

I believe the steel back might actually be more rare? And this one may be a Briggs body? (I don't know for sure?) This looks like it might be a very worthwhile project.

• Like 1

Really neat car. Someone can correct me but I thought these sedans had a lot of wood in them. It doesnt look too bad on this car and the doors look pretty solid with little or no sag. But 100 year old dry wood may look good but be not so good. Also appears to have been parked beside the chicken coop with the waste being piled against the pass side. Other than some surface mess looks pretty complete. Def a long term project that will cost 3 times what the finished product will be worth but could be a great time consuming hobby for someone.

On 4/12/2022 at 9:16 AM, TAKerry said:

Really neat car. Someone can correct me but I thought these sedans had a lot of wood in them. It doesnt look too bad on this car and the doors look pretty solid with little or no sag. But 100 year old dry wood may look good but be not so good. Also appears to have been parked beside the chicken coop with the waste being piled against the pass side. Other than some surface mess looks pretty complete. Def a long term project that will cost 3 times what the finished product will be worth but could be a great time consuming hobby for someone.

I talked a someone who was selling a "Leather Back" a couple of years ago. He indicated that it needed wood replacement in the upper rear of the body -- the actual "Blind Back" area. 

Here are the pictures of the Model A Blind Back sedan to preserve the topic of this discussion:

Sellers ad:

1929 Ford Model A Sedan Now up for sale is what we believe to be a ‘29 Model A Town Sedan or something similar. I do not have a title but believe this to be a one or two owner vehicle. Needs work to restore but too nice to chop up. Thanks for checking it out.

No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)