1937 Studebaker Horn Repair

Hi guys,

I just finished rewiring my Dictator sedan.  I initially had a working horn, but after 2 or 3 successful uses, I now have no horn.  

I have the single horn with no relay.  Do these have points in them or can they be rebuilt?  

Also, should I have a fuse in the horn circuit somewhere?  I know they didn’t from factory, but am I at risk of damaging my new harness without a fuse? 

Thanks everyone,

Nate

9AD46CF2-9DCA-417F-8CA9-0B9332774E8B.jpeg

E12456A2-0DBF-40AF-B84A-EB1E4A2552CE.jpeg

This circuit is super simple.  One side of the horn should have battery voltage (-6V) all the time.  Check it with a multimeter in volt mode or 6V test light.  The other side is grounded when you press the horn button.  Disconnect the wire from the horn that does not have battery voltage and connect a multimeter in continuity mode (ohms) to the wire and ground.  The resistance should be infinite (no continuity).  Push the horn button.  Resistance should go to a few ohms.  

If the first test fails (no battery voltage) your voltage supply is the problem.  If the second test fails your horn button wire or the contacts in the horn button is the problem.  If both tests pass then the actual horn has a problem.  Isolate the problem while changing as little as possible.  If you take the horn apart without testing first you may well introduce a second problem and overlapping problems can be a real PITA to resolve.  Good luck!

Nathan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...