Many years ago, I found these documents in an old desk. The first is a summons for speeding dated July 1920 in Middlesex county, Ontario. Second is a receipt for the $10.25 fine, which also describes the way the speed was calculated. One would think that by the time the calculations were made, the perp would be in the next county !  Third are my calculations for the speed attained. Ontario's speed limit in 1920 was 15 MPH ! Jim

1920 Speeding Ticket summons.jpg

1920 speeding ticket receipt.jpg

1920 speeding ticket calculations.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I would only be guessing but that must have been what is now Hwy 2 in the area of the Trails End.  I had to check out the equivalent fine today- 16 mph is roughly 26 km/h over which today is a fine of $122.50 and the fine from 1920 works out to $130 in todays dollars....the more things change the more they stay the same! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 3macboys said:

I would only be guessing but that must have been what is now Hwy 2 in the area of the Trails End.  I had to check out the equivalent fine today- 16 mph is roughly 26 km/h over which today is a fine of $122.50 and the fine from 1920 works out to $130 in todays dollars....the more things change the more they stay the same! 

Another local note (for us) is that judge Chittick lived in Dorchester, on Hamilton Road in a large brick home just east of the Beer Store.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1