Schebler Type D Carb?

63RedBrier

Do you have a picture, Greg?

I actually have TWO different carbs I'm trying to identify, but let's start with this one first, so the two don't get confused...

PXL_20220204_225127367.jpg

PXL_20220204_225112377.jpg

PXL_20220204_225033487.jpg

PXL_20220204_225020760.jpg

PXL_20220204_225009872.jpg

PXL_20220204_224957204.jpg

If I recall correctly, the Schebler type D was an early series used on a number of very early cars on up to some automobiles around 1910. In addition to automobiles, they were used extensively on boats, farm, and industrial equipment, during the same era. If I recall correctly, a 1910 automobile I used to have was a type/model D Schebler originally. I managed to find an exact match to its missing original, but had to sell the car before I got it running or changed from the later replacement it had on it. Earliest versions began showing up about 1900 if I recall correctly.

I am not sure how correct or incorrect a lot of what I have read really is. It would appear that these early Schebler carburetors are widely considered to be "model D" or "type D", but vary in size and configuration a great deal. I have a very early one that is similar in configuration to the one for the 1910 I used to have, but only about a quarter of the size (can't really be the same model?). But I have seen both of them referred to in print as "type" or "model" "D".

The configuration for them often appears to vary a great deal as well. Again, from things I have read, they may be configured as either "side-draft" or "up-draft". Many of them have an odd "sliding" or "gate" valve for the throttle as opposed to the much better known "butterfly" valve used for more than a hundred years since. However, I have seen versions with butterfly valve like yours has. 

Whether your butterfly valve top piece is original to that carburetor or not? I do not know. I suspect that Schebler was trying to maintain a hold on their early market making a wide variety of configurations around a simple basic design, and in varying sizes. When I had my 1910 car, the more I found, saw, and read about these carburetors? The more fortunate I felt to have found and bought a carburetor that exactly matched the original manuals for the car!

I didn't research the carburetors extensively. Basically trying to get a proper carburetor for my cars. But all I did read, and the several more knowledgeable people I spoke with, indicated that these Schebler carburetors are a minefield of misinformation with many variations and multiple sizes. Finding a specific car for which a given carburetor would be original to? May be very difficult!

16 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

So in the 3rd photo is the throttle body on the left or bottom?

The throttle body is the item that contains the throttle shaft (the one on the left).

As to what it fit (if it had not been modified)?

Virtually impossible to tell.

I have 172 entries in my database on the Schebler model D, but that is just scratching the surface.

Unfortunately, the early Schebler books only mention the model D in passing, as its use on cars was fairly limited. The most comprehensive information was published around 1935 or so, when Schebler published a parts listing for the (then) five sizes of standard Schebler model D's. I have 3 additional sizes not listed in this chart (the chart only references standard carburetors then in production).

Additionally, the Schebler model M looks identical externally to the model D. The model M was made in at least 3 different sizes.

Like most Scheblers, the identification number is in the format "m X nnn"; where the "m" represents the model (in this case D), generally a single letter, but some models have more letters, the X is simply and X and means "assembly", and the "nnn" is the sequential number within the given model.

Example DX-304 was used on the 1927 John Deere model D. The DX-304 is read Schebler model D assembly number 304. I have a DX-331 in my database; which PROBABLY means there are at least 331 different versions.

In additional to a few early automobiles, Schebler model D's were used on tractor, marine, agricultural, and industrial engines. You see a fair number on "hit-r-miss" engines.

Every couple of years, I unabashedly BEG for factory information on a number of different carburetors; this is one of them.

To date the best information I have been able to assemble is from owners. I will get a call "I have a something-or-other with a Schebler model D, do you offer a kit"? The answer is MAYBE, but if I have never made this kit, I will need to see the carburetor (NOT A PICTURE, the actual carburetor) and if you have a factory parts book, owners guide, service guide, etc., a copy would be helpful. I actually did one for a 1912 Holt combine that has not one, but two air valves.

While not the information you asked for, unless you can do a better job in talking folks into looking in their factory literature than I, probably the best information you will find.

The Schebler books do an excellent job on the later model S, with decent information on the models A, AT, L, and R. There was also a motorcycle book printed in 1928 that covered motorcycle models such as the AM, DL, and H. The original was printed on unobtanium. It has been reprinted, and copies occasionally show on ebay. Other Schebler models are by and large ignored in the books, and I have probably every printing from about 1914 through 1931.

I have maybe 20 or so of the model D, plus dozens of castings to be able to produce more; and I have absolutely no plans to even think about attempting to identify. When someone wants one, I ask for pictures with measurements; and armed with these I can look.

I don't know the time period, but a Canadian company, Acadia, produced a duplicate of the model D, with the only visible change being the name. I know nothing more about these.

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Jon for the additional information! All I have to go on is what I remember reading ten to twenty years ago when I was researching for my 1910 car (which I really wish I could get back!).  All the paperwork and copies I had went with the car when I had to sell it.